Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive LLAP CLI Usage

Rising Star

I installed Hive LLAP by using below setup link. Everything is configured and I got a new queue "llap". But when I am running queries from hive cli. Execution is happening in default queue and tez mode. Looks like llap works with Tez in-memory. Also, "set hive.llap.execution.mode=all" is also throwing an exception "Property not available to set". I checked hive-site.xml and property is set to "all". Not sure why it is not picked up.

Can anyone tell me how to use llap using cli or point what I am missing here? I can connect using Tableau or Squirrel tools at port 10500. But I want to test this from hive cli and perform some performance testing. I want to see the difference in execution time between llap and normal hive execution.

Also, Can I use llap with MR as execution mode?

References:

Setup Link

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/llap-sub-second-queries-hive-neeraj-sabharwal

http://www.slideshare.net/HadoopSummit/llap-subsecond-analytical-queries-in-hive

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

> Can anyone tell me how to use llap using cli or point what I am missing here?

You can't use LLAP using the hive CLI, since it is aimed at BI workloads. LLAP can be accessed via beeline & HiveServer2. The new URL will show up in Ambari under the Hive sidebar.

11776-screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-83559-pm.png

You can then copy that URL and use beeline -u '<url>' to connect to HiveServer2-Interactive, which will use LLAP.

To confirm you are on the right host, you can try doing an explain of the query and see the word "LLAP" in the explain marking parts of the query.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

> Can anyone tell me how to use llap using cli or point what I am missing here?

You can't use LLAP using the hive CLI, since it is aimed at BI workloads. LLAP can be accessed via beeline & HiveServer2. The new URL will show up in Ambari under the Hive sidebar.

11776-screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-83559-pm.png

You can then copy that URL and use beeline -u '<url>' to connect to HiveServer2-Interactive, which will use LLAP.

To confirm you are on the right host, you can try doing an explain of the query and see the word "LLAP" in the explain marking parts of the query.

Rising Star

Thank you @gopal. It worked using the url. But I am facing a weird issue. Every time I execute a query using Hive llap beeline session I get connection exception and Hive LLAP shuts down. Although LLAP daemons are runnings.

Rising Star

Also how to use this new HA URL to connect to Tableau?