Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to deny admin user/group from dropping hive tables from Hue?

Explorer

Hi community,

From Hue security browser, I have a RBAC role (admin), which was given all permission on all databases.
I have this Database A which consists of table1,2,3
I want to deny this admin role from dropping Database A -> Table1 and Table2.

Can you show me how this can be done on sentry?

Thanks!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Expert Contributor

Hi @Shivakuk 

Please refer below doc, you can use the Revoke statements in sentry to restrict the access on a database

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/latest/topics/sg_hive_sql.html#revoke_privilege...

Let us know if this helps

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

Hi  @Shivakuk  As I test Sentry does not support DROP and DELETE privilege.

However if you want to remove the DROP access from Admin user, then you have first remove ALL privileges and just provide  SELECT and INSERT privileges to the user

NOTE: The DELETE, UPDATE, and UPSERT operations require the ALL privilege on the DB/ Table/ Column.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Hi @Shivakuk 

Please refer below doc, you can use the Revoke statements in sentry to restrict the access on a database

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/latest/topics/sg_hive_sql.html#revoke_privilege...

Let us know if this helps

Explorer

The document from Cloudera does not specifically mention on how to revoke drop privilege.

Please advise.

Expert Contributor

Hi  @Shivakuk  As I test Sentry does not support DROP and DELETE privilege.

However if you want to remove the DROP access from Admin user, then you have first remove ALL privileges and just provide  SELECT and INSERT privileges to the user

NOTE: The DELETE, UPDATE, and UPSERT operations require the ALL privilege on the DB/ Table/ Column.