Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to utilize infiniband backbone during MapReduce.

We are currently trying to use the phoenix csv bulk loader mapreduce tool. It is taking about a hour and a half for a 170 GB csv. The map is usally done quickly but the reduce seems to be taking much longer than it should. I am believe the fact we are utilizing a 1 Gb is a contributing factor to this. We have some old 10 Gb infiniband equipment laying around and I was considering trying to implement this as the backbone of HDFS and MapReduce. I have come across two articles mentioning multihoming, neither of which I believe gives me enough detail to solve this problem. Any documentation or direction is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Brian Ramsel

Have to explored and tried changing the memory setting for reducer and the number of reducers?

I am totally in agreement with moving to 10G but just wondering if there is an opportunity to improve the performance with current setup. In the recent past, working with a prospect on a POC, we were able to ingest 600GB file in about 30 mins on a small 4 node cluster. (64GB RAM, 10GiBE, other tuning done at the app/service level). Not sure how big this cluster is and what is the hardware spec though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

this would make an excellent wiki post

@Brian Ramsel

Have to explored and tried changing the memory setting for reducer and the number of reducers?

I am totally in agreement with moving to 10G but just wondering if there is an opportunity to improve the performance with current setup. In the recent past, working with a prospect on a POC, we were able to ingest 600GB file in about 30 mins on a small 4 node cluster. (64GB RAM, 10GiBE, other tuning done at the app/service level). Not sure how big this cluster is and what is the hardware spec though.

Sorry I haven't responded yet been out of the office with the holidays. From what I can tell the reduce memory is set to 5GB. I am unsure about the number of reduces. We have an 8 node cluster each node has 16 cores and 192 GB of RAM.