Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there any risk to delete old HDP directories?

Upgraded a cluster many times and current version is HDP 2.3.2

Would like to delete the following directories. Would it be safe to delete with rm command?

$ sudo du -hx --max-depth=1 /usr/hdp | grep G

2.8G /usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950

1.7G /usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041

2.0G /usr/hdp/2.2.6.0-2800

2.0G /usr/hdp/2.2.4.2-2

2.6G /usr/hdp/2.3.0.0-2557

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You should not remove old packages by removing these folders via "rm -rf ....". There are many locations where HDP stores files, packages etc..

You can uninstall old versions for example via:

yum erase -y \*2_3_0_0_2557\*

Make sure you are not removing any current packages. Above command will remove the packages for the specified version, however you will still find some old log and config files (I usually keep them as a reference, but I think you can remove them without any problems).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You should not remove old packages by removing these folders via "rm -rf ....". There are many locations where HDP stores files, packages etc..

You can uninstall old versions for example via:

yum erase -y \*2_3_0_0_2557\*

Make sure you are not removing any current packages. Above command will remove the packages for the specified version, however you will still find some old log and config files (I usually keep them as a reference, but I think you can remove them without any problems).

Thanks Jonas!

Based on your advise, I'll do "yum erase `yum list | grep -P '\b2.3.0.0-2557\b' | awk '{ print $1 }'`"