Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Solr 5.5 Solr Exception Error opening new searcher (NiFi Flow)

Explorer

Hi - Solr 5.5 was working fine with NiFi, until I restarted my VM. Now when I start Nifi and Solr, I get the following message in Solr:

tweets_shard1_replica1: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error opening new searcher

I'm attaching the complete solr log. Please can someone help?

Thank Youtweets-shard1-replica1.txt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Raf Mohammed I recreated your error and tested it, although I was not using HDFS, which should not be any different. To delete the corrupt collection you can do these steps.

I recommend shutting down Solr and HDFS gracefully to avoid index corruption. Also, you can create backup copies if you want to recover in the future. Having replicas will also probably help with this situation.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Master Guru

The attached file doesn't look like a normal Solr log, did that come from solr_home/server/logs/solr.log ?

Explorer

@Bryan Bende I got the info from Solr UI, under 'Logging'.

Explorer

@Bryan Bende any ideas?

Explorer

<response>

<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int> <int name="QTime">0</int> </lst>
<arr name="collections">
<str>collection1</str> <str>tweets</str> </arr>

</response>

[root@sandbox ~]# su solr

[solr@sandbox root]$ /opt/lucidworks-hdpsearch/solr/bin/solr create -c tweets -d tweet_configs -s 1 -rf 1 -p 8983

Connecting to ZooKeeper at sandbox.hortonworks.com:2181/solr ...

Re-using existing configuration directory tweets

ERROR:

Collection 'tweets' already exists!

Checked collection existence using Collections API command:

http://sandbox.hortonworks.com:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=list

@Raf Mohammed It looks like your transaction log has some issue and is preventing solr from opening a new searcher. Have you tried to restart solr or issue a manual commit ? Is your HDFS healthy?

You could remove the recent transaction logs, which should resolve this issue, however you will loose the most recent ingested data.

Got a checksum exception for /solr/tweets/core_node1/data/tlog/tlog.0000000000000000338 at BP-1464254149-172.17.0.2-1477381671113:blk_1073759482_18761:1024 from xxxxxxxxx:50010\cell \row

Explorer

@Jonas Straub HDFS is healthy and solr has been restarted however I'm not sure how to go about doing a manual commit...?

http://localhost:8983/solr/update?commit=true

Please can you tell me how to remove the recent transaction logs? I don't mind losing previously ingested data as this is a test environment. Thanks!

Explorer

@Jonas Straub @Neeraj Sabharwal hi, some guidance on this would be highly appreciated

Super Collaborator

@Raf Mohammed - This is a transaction log file: /solr/tweets/core_node1/data/tlog/tlog.0000000000000000338, so just delete them (I always prefer to move files I'm going to delete to another directory called "TODELETE" in the event that I actually need them and once things look good I then delete them). You may need to restart Solr if you delete these files out from under Solr.

A manual commit should be like this assuming your collection is named "tweets":

http://localhost:8983/solr/tweets/update?commit=true

Explorer

@james.jones Sorry, how can i access and remove these logs please? *newbie* i'm not concerned about losing any previously ingested data, as they were just a collection of tweets from that particular day.