Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Token expiry issue due to System time on machines.

Expert Contributor

I am struggling to fix the issue that I am facing while executing hadoop mareduce jobs in my cluster. I am running the mapreduce job on the cluster created through Ambari (not sandbox). The cluster has 4 nodes (including the master node). Following is the error that I get

This token is expired. current time is 1454617494914 found 1454598336617 Note: System times on machines may be out of sync. Check system time and time zones.

I checked the time on all the nodes. I found that, except the master node, time on all the other nodes were incorrect. So I manually corrected (ntpd was failing to connect to servers) the time on all the nodes.

Searching the internet, I found that there is a setting 'yarn.resourcemanager.rm.container-allocation.expiry-interval-ms' which can be used to increase the lifespan of the container. I could not find this setting anywhere in the advanced configuration on the Ambari dashboard. Can anyone help me understand what is going on ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Pradeep kumar

This is the exact root cause

I checked the time on all the nodes. I found that, except the master node, time on all the other nodes were incorrect. So I manually corrected (ntpd was failing to connect to servers) the time on all the nodes.

Do you know why ntpd is failing?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Master Mentor

install NTP @Pradeep kumar

Master Mentor

@Pradeep kumar

# Setup NTPD
chkconfig --list ntpd
chkconfig ntpd on
service ntpd stop
ntpdate pool.ntp.orgservice 
ntpd start

Master Mentor

@Pradeep kumar I also think the issue is not with YARN but with kerberos.

Master Mentor

above is for RHEL6 for RHEL7 below

# Setup NTPD
yum install -y ntp
systemctl is-enabled ntpd
systemctl enable ntpd

# enable firewall rules for ntp
firewall-cmd --add-service=ntp --permanent
firewall-cmd --reload
systemctl stop ntpd
ntpdate pool.ntp.org
systemctl start ntpd
systemctl status ntpd
echo "wait 30 sec for time to synchronize"
sleep 30
ntpq -p
date -R

Expert Contributor

I have installed the cluster using CentOS. So, it would be great if you could post the CentOS version for setting the firewall rule. This could be reason, why my nodes are not able to contact the time servers. Many thanks.

Master Mentor

here you go @Pradeep kumar link

Expert Contributor

Thanks Artem for your support. The problem was not with the firewall, but the nodes were not able to reach the known ntpd time servers.

Master Mentor

@Pradeep kumar great, glad to help.

Expert Contributor

I have tried disabling the firewall and running the command '/usr/sbin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org'. But, I am getting the error "no server suitable for synchronization found".