Cloudera Employee

Re: Cannot update Cloudera Manager (5.16) on Ubuntu 16.04

Good to hear!

Cloudera Employee

Ok, I'll look into it, please stand by.

In the meanwhile you can use a specific version like xenial-cdh5.15.1 instead of xenial-cdh5 in your sources.list to workaround this issue.

Cloudera Employee

I think what is happening is that CM Server is running 5.16.0.   When adding a cluster, the hosts need to run the CM agent that matches that version.   Since it does not exist, the install is failing.

Only thing to do, since there is no 5.16.0 release anymore, is to wait for CM5.16.1 release.   Upgrade CM to that release, then your agents will look for 5.16.1 and will find them.

I would WAIT until 5.16.1 is announced even if you happen to see it on archive.

Sorry, this is the only way I can think of to get your install finished.

Tina

Contributor

Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it. I am fine with waiting, but something you said about CM maybe running on 5.16.0 scares me a bit. How can I print the actual version of cloudera-scm-server and agent on my server? In the UI it shows 5.15.1 but this is because I haven't restart it yet. Also, what would happen to my cluster if the server has bumped to 5.16.0 and the rest is not? I could promise not to restart the service, but the server is hosted in the private cloud and uptime is not 100% there.
Thank you again.
Cloudera Employee

dpkg --get-selections | grep cloudera
dpkg -l | grep cloudera

Those commands on Ubuntu should show you the version of CM installed  I don't know of any other command to show if the service is running or stopped off hand.

Topics: 1
Kudos: 226
Solutions: 121

@maziyar,

It is important that we understand what steps you are doing to upgrade things in your cluster.  Can you provide the steps you are doing to update things?

If you are using apt-get, it sounds like further debugging needs to be done there to figure out why it thinks 5.16 exists.  5.16 references have been removed from Cloudea server

Perhaps strace could be used to check what files are being accessed before attempting to download 5.16.

If you have 5.16 bits but have not restarted Cloudera Manager so it is still at 5.15.1, you can stop CM, remove the 5.16 package and then install 5.15.1.  Cloudera Manager does not do anything to the CM database unless CM is started with the new binaries, so it should be safe to "roll back" in this case.  Of course, make sure you have a backup of your database before trying it (just to be safe).

Contributor

Hi @bgooley @truonala

The result of the commands:

dpkg -l | grep cloudera
ii  cloudera-manager-agent              5.15.1-1.cm5151.p0.3~xenial-cm5            amd64        The Cloudera Manager Agent
ii  cloudera-manager-daemons            5.15.1-1.cm5151.p0.3~xenial-cm5            all          Provides daemons for monitoring Hadoop and related tools.
ii  cloudera-manager-repository         5.0                                        all          Cloudera Manager
ii  cloudera-manager-server             5.15.1-1.cm5151.p0.3~xenial-cm5            all          The Cloudera Manager Server
rc  cloudera-manager-server-db-2        5.14.2-1.cm5142.p0.8~xenial-cm5            all          This package configures an "embedded" PostgreSQL server,running as user cloudera-scm on port 7432.

As how did this happen, I was just simply trying to update/upgrade the Ubuntu server which is hosted CM. I wasn't aware of a new version so I wasn't trying to upgrade the cluster at that moment (it was purely for security reason to have up to date packages).

Since the upgrade never happened due to the errors from the beginning, I am wondering how is it possible to have any 5.16.x bits in my system? 

Kudos: 102
Solutions: 54

FYI -  Cloudera Enterprise 5.16 is Now Available

Please note: The first release of Cloudera Enterprise 5.16 is numbered 5.16.1.

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Contributor

Hi, Thanks. I can see that it is available here: https://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/cm/pool/contrib/e/enterprise/

Is it safe to update at this time?
Highlighted
Cloudera Employee

Yes, 5.16.1 has been announced and shows up here

to download.

Good luck!

Tina

Announcements