Explorer

Several questions about Navigator encryption.

There are some questions below about Navigator encryption, any ideas will be appreciated.

1. Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Trial Edition 5.8.3 has 60 days freely,  can use it to test the Navigator encryption/decryption ability during the period? 

2. Must use a HSM(hardware security module) for Navigator encryption/decryption?

3. Can KTS(Key Trustee Server) only use the PostGres as the database? like CM, can change to MySQL?

Thank you

Cloudera Employee

Re: Several questions about Navigator encryption.

Hi David,

I'm not certain about number 1, but for 2 and 3:

2 - No, you do not need to use an HSM. That is optional.

3 - Yes, it can only use the embedded PostgreSQL database. It cannot use MySQL or any other database, and you cannot share the PostgreSQL database with other applications.

Brian

Explorer

@Brian Burton, thanks for you response promptly.

How can i confirm the first question? or can you help to confirm it?

Explorer

@Brian Burton
If no using a HSM, i think it is also unnecessary to install Cloudera Navigator Key HSM, right?
Cloudera Employee

Hi David,

I looked into this, and the Navigator encryption features are not available with a trial license. The reason is that we do not want to risk any customer data becoming unavailable due to a license expiration.

If you want to test Navigator encryption functionality, I recommend contacting your account manager if you are a customer, or our sales team if you are not. They can help you get a temporary license and work with you to make sure that you don't lose access to your data if you decide not to continue after the license expires.

Brian

Cloudera Employee

Correct, if you do not have an HSM, you do not need the Cloudera Navigator Key HSM component.

Explorer

@Brian Burton, thanks for you reply promptly.
I think that HDFS Transparent Encryption is also not available with a trial license accord with your mead. right?
Cloudera Employee

Yes. HDFS Transparent Encryption is also not available with a trial license
Announcements
New solutions