Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can't Connect to Impala from ODBC with SSL

New Contributor

Hi all,

I tried to connect to Impala in Windows Server 2012 through ODBC v2.7.0.1002 and get error 

FAILED![Cloudera][DriverSupport] (1170) Unexpected response received from server. Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct.

This is log error from odbc

ERROR 4196 Simba::ThriftExtension::TETSaslClientTransport::SaslLoggingCallback: ::LogUsername: GetUsernameEx(NameUserPrincipal) failed: 1332

But I tried in my local laptop with same settings and ODBC version it can connect.

I check from windows server can telnet to Impala IP and port.

Is there any certificates that need to install in windows server? when I check in certificates console my laptop got much certificate than server

My laptop

RobertusAgung_0-1709169788054.png

Windows server that can't connect to Impala

RobertusAgung_1-1709169828641.png

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@RobertusAgung The error message "Unexpected response received from server" suggests that there might be a problem with the communication between the Windows Server and the Impala server. The additional error "GetUsernameEx(NameUserPrincipal) failed: 1332" seems to indicate a problem with retrieving the username.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check Firewall Settings: Ensure that the firewall settings on the Windows Server machine allow outgoing connections to the Impala server's IP address and port. You've mentioned that you can telnet to the Impala IP and port, but double-check that there are no additional restrictions.

2. Verify Impala Server Configuration: Make sure that the Impala server is properly configured to accept connections from the Windows Server machine. Check the Impala server logs for any errors or warnings that might indicate issues with incoming connections.

3. ODBC Configuration: Double-check the ODBC configuration on the Windows Server machine to ensure that the connection settings (server host, port, authentication mechanism, etc.) are correct and match those on your local laptop where the connection works.

4. Certificate Installation: If your Impala server is configured to use SSL/TLS encryption, ensure that the necessary SSL/TLS certificates are installed on the Windows Server machine. You may need to import the certificates into the Windows certificate store.

5. User Permissions: Ensure that the user account running the ODBC connection on the Windows Server machine has the necessary permissions to access the Impala server. This includes both network permissions and database permissions.

Regards,

Chethan YM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Community Manager

@RobertusAgung, Welcome to our community! To help you get the best possible answer, I have tagged in our Impala experts @SVB @ChethanYM @ShankerSharma @mszurap   who may be able to assist you further.

Please feel free to provide any additional information or details about your query, and we hope that you will find a satisfactory solution to your question.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Super Collaborator

@RobertusAgung The error message "Unexpected response received from server" suggests that there might be a problem with the communication between the Windows Server and the Impala server. The additional error "GetUsernameEx(NameUserPrincipal) failed: 1332" seems to indicate a problem with retrieving the username.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check Firewall Settings: Ensure that the firewall settings on the Windows Server machine allow outgoing connections to the Impala server's IP address and port. You've mentioned that you can telnet to the Impala IP and port, but double-check that there are no additional restrictions.

2. Verify Impala Server Configuration: Make sure that the Impala server is properly configured to accept connections from the Windows Server machine. Check the Impala server logs for any errors or warnings that might indicate issues with incoming connections.

3. ODBC Configuration: Double-check the ODBC configuration on the Windows Server machine to ensure that the connection settings (server host, port, authentication mechanism, etc.) are correct and match those on your local laptop where the connection works.

4. Certificate Installation: If your Impala server is configured to use SSL/TLS encryption, ensure that the necessary SSL/TLS certificates are installed on the Windows Server machine. You may need to import the certificates into the Windows certificate store.

5. User Permissions: Ensure that the user account running the ODBC connection on the Windows Server machine has the necessary permissions to access the Impala server. This includes both network permissions and database permissions.

Regards,

Chethan YM

Community Manager

@RobertusAgung, Did the response assist in resolving your query? If it did, kindly mark the relevant reply as the solution, as it will aid others in locating the answer more easily in the future. 

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: