Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hortonworks Repositories can't be accessed

New Contributor

Hello all,

I tried to set up Ambari  for a research project, however I get  "ERROR 403:  FORBIDDEN" (Access denied ) when trying to download the repositories from  Hortonworks & I don't know what I can do know or how to install Ambari and all its HDP services manually. Is anyone else here encountering this problem or does anyone have a solution for it?

I tried it with multiple versions already.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mayhem

Cloudera recently changed the download policy and now to download Ambari and HDP you need a valid subscription. 

Please see the announcement here: Transition to private repositories for CDH, HDP and HDF

One solution would be to download Ambari from Apache's site

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @Mayhem

Cloudera recently changed the download policy and now to download Ambari and HDP you need a valid subscription. 

Please see the announcement here: Transition to private repositories for CDH, HDP and HDF

One solution would be to download Ambari from Apache's site

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

New Contributor

@Gang  or @ask_bill_brooks  or others,

How can I expedite being granted Cloudera credentials?  

This paywall change has caused a production outage, but I am unable to quickly resolve the issue:

• I was told it takes 1-3 days for Sales to respond
  • I'm not a subscriber, so I can't submit a support case
  • I've been unsuccessful being granted credentials via the 60 day trial signup

Please guide on how to quickly become a Cloudera subscriber.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Community Manager

@ryan_murphy 

We have reached out to our sales contacts and informed them of your questions. Please let us know if they contact you. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program

Explorer

Question1 :  Announcement says "valid credentials to access any version labeled 6.3.3 or higher."

but I can not even access 6.2.0 or 6.2.1 https://archive.cloudera.com/cm6/6.2.0/ubuntu1604/

Question2: I have reached out to sales team, they said, it will take 1-3 days to respond.

Is there any way we can expedite the process? or email?

This is affecting our production, Any advice for quick licensing? 

@PJ18 Hmm…I think you might have been looking at an older document. The relevant paragraph, which I provided a link to above, is the initial one:

…beginning in February 2021, no versions of Cloudera Manager, CDH, Apache Ambari, HDP and HDF releases will be available via Cloudera's public repositories. Instead, all of the then-currently supported releases of Cloudera Manager, CDH, Ambari, HDP and HDF will be accessible only to active customers with valid subscription entitlements to these Cloudera products. This follows similar changes made for versions released since November 2019, which were never posted in Cloudera’s public repositories.

Emphasis added.

As far as expediting your sales inquiry, I will reach out to our sales contact and inform them of your questions. 

Explorer

Thanks @ask_bill_brooks  , appreciate the quick response,

that older document is still up here, https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Product-Announcements/ANNOUNCE-Cloudera-Enterprise-6-3-3-Released/...

thus it is confusing many users who are in 6.2.0 or lower.

Also, waiting to hear from sales,

Best,

Explorer

Huh? 

Without HWX binary repo,  what's ambari good for? Is there a free repo that we are not aware of? 

@kdunchained I am not aware of any formal, technical coupling between Ambari and Cloudera's HDP repositories. Ambari is a completely open source project which you can freely download from Apache's site and if there was a formal, technical coupling between Ambari and Cloudera's HDP repositories, one could edit the source code and/or configuration files and remove it at any time.

With a sufficient amount of knowledge and development work, one could build the necessary components for a fully-functional cluster with images (and the needed version definition files, etc.) they built themselves from Apache's sources and deploy them using Ambari. I haven't tried it, but that's just because I don't have anywhere near that kind of free time.

The analogy I like to use is with RedHat's RPM. There are other Linux distributions that use RPM as a package manager but don't exclusively deploy RedHat's Enterprise Linux packages. 

Explorer

Yet to hear from sales @ask_bill_brooks