Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

is there any open source CDH version available to download and use - 12th May 2021?

New Contributor

Hello,

Can any one please help me understand that is CDH still is an open source Hadoop distributed platform offered by Cloudera as of 12th May 2021.

Challenges faced : 
I am legacy customer of CDH 6.0.0 open source for about an year. If CDH is going away from open source to subscriptions, what does that mean for legacy customers [Patch fix, bugs, small upgrades] ?

Note, The Official home page of CDH still calls CDH platform to be 100% open source but when we go to Downloads for upgraded versions, it's asking for subscription. You guys really need to update the documentations for customers.
https://www.cloudera.com/products/open-source/apache-hadoop/key-cdh-components.html

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @sourya456 

I think I can help. First, the current Enterprise Data Platform offered by Cloudera as of 12th May 2021, is Cloudera Data Platform (CDP), which in it's on-premises "form factor" was released back on November 22, 2019, well over a year ago. The on-premises offering was named CDP Data Center at that point and is now called CDP Private Cloud. CDP superseded CDH as Cloudera's data platform offering.

You can find the most recent official reminder of the previous announcement that Cloudera Enterprise 6.x will be reaching End of Support (EoS) in 2021 here:

March 2021 Customer Advisory - 2: End of Support for Cloudera Products (CDH/CM 6.x & HDP 3.x)

My understanding is that organizations with a valid Cloudera subscription for legacy products such as CDH would have previously been sent this announcement directly.

You can find the announcement that Cloudera was making binaries for legacy products such as CDH exclusively available from a private repository here:

Transition to private repositories for CDH, HDP and HDF.

If your organization already has a valid Cloudera subscription, please do read that announcement in full, as there are links in it to documentation on how to upgrade your installation of Cloudera Manager to deal with the repository location change.

As far as documentation, one can view detailed documentation describing this change in the way Cloudera distributes binaries for CDH and how to download the software following this change embedded directly in the CDH 6.x documentation here:

CDH 6 Download Information

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

@ask_bill_brooks 
Thank you for the response.

Being a beginner, I would like to understand whether is there any fleet platform which allows me into distributed Hadoop like CDH.

is there any equivalent tools similar to CDH which are open source that I can use?

If you are a beginner and you're just looking for an up-to-date, Hadoop-based data platform to install and learn on, you can currently do so without a Cloudera subscription by downloading and installing the Trial Version of CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform, which is powered by 100% open source components from various Apache projects.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.