umb
Explorer

Logging level in Spark

How can i change the logging level of spark to WARN from INFO in spark-shell?

New Contributor

Re: Logging level in Spark

I tried editing the /etc/spark/conf/log4j.properties file and changed all log levels to WARN. Still when viewing application logs from YARN resource manager I see INFO messages.

Cloudera Employee

Are you trying to change logging messages from YARN, or from Spark? this file will not affect what YARN logs.

New Contributor

turns out that we have to change the /etc/hadoop/conf/log4j.properties file

New Contributor

Sowen, kindly inform where in cloudera manager can we set this configuration permenantly since it gets replaced every time we redeploy client configuration.

Cloudera Employee

Yes, you should not edit these files manually. Have a look at the YARN configuration in CM. You should quickly find the Logs tab for the various components like ResourceManager. You can configure log levels there.

New Contributor

I opened yarn configuration, searched for logging threshold and changed them all to WARN. Still when I deploy client configuration the log4j.properties does not change

Cloudera Employee

YARN config? did you restart the YARN services?

New Contributor

Yes, after loggin in to Cloudera Manager, I clicked on YARN service, then clicked on the Configuration tab. In the search field I entered logging threshold and changed them all to WARN (JobHistory Server Logging Threshold, NodeManager Logging Threshold, NodeManager Logging Threshold,ResourceManager Logging Threshold)

New Contributor

Hello Sowen,

Is there a way in Cloudera Manager where we can set the log level specified by /etc/hadoop/conf/log4j.properties?

Thank you,