Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Add new cluster via Director using the existing CM

Hi,

is it supported to submit a new cluster template to Cloudera Altus Director and use an existing Cloudera Manager installation? 

I had a Director template for Cluster A and CM A and it was deployed sucessfully. As the Director server was not needed any more, it was deleted (so the operations is managed by CM, but no changes were made in cluster config).

Now I would like to create Cluster B also with Director, but to point to an existing Cloudera Manager A (and thus using the same KDC) 

Is this supported?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

Altus Director does have some limited ability to use an existing CM server (see the notes in https://github.com/cloudera/director-scripts/blob/master/configs/aws.reference.conf#L487-L490).  There are gaps in what CM related features will work, especially around TLS/SSL and external databases.

Do you happen to have a backup of the old Director's database?  If so, you could use that to restore the state on a new Director server.

For either of the above paths, I would recommend opening a support case with Cloudera if you need to pursue this for a production cluster.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cloudera Employee

Unfortunately Altus Director is not able to use an existing CM deployment to create a new deployment.  If you used a configuration file for the original deployment, then that configuration file could be used for a new deployment via a new Altus Director.  See this documentation for information on how to use configuration files, which is the recommended method for repeatable templated deployments.

Thanks for the answer, Yes I have the original configuration file, but as I understand, I cannot post this configuration file to a new Altus Director and tell "Hey, skip the CM creation, here is the existing CM instance, he is managing the KDC and principals - so talk with this instance instead of creating a new one".

I was just curious, because through the Web UI of the Director I think it was possible to create a "copy" of the cluster under the same "deployment" - aka. under the same Cloudera Manager.

Cloudera Employee

Altus Director does have some limited ability to use an existing CM server (see the notes in https://github.com/cloudera/director-scripts/blob/master/configs/aws.reference.conf#L487-L490).  There are gaps in what CM related features will work, especially around TLS/SSL and external databases.

Do you happen to have a backup of the old Director's database?  If so, you could use that to restore the state on a new Director server.

For either of the above paths, I would recommend opening a support case with Cloudera if you need to pursue this for a production cluster.