New Contributor

Hbase master start fails

Cannot start hbase master in Cloudera manager, I receive the following error:

Failed to become active master
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FileSystemVersionException: HBase file layout needs to be upgraded. You have version 7 and I want version 8. Consult http://hbase.apache.org/book.html for further information about upgrading HBase. Is your hbase.rootdir valid? If so, you may need to run 'hbase hbck -fixVersionFile'.
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FSUtils.checkVersion(FSUtils.java:603)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.checkRootDir(MasterFileSystem.java:436)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.createInitialFileSystemLayout(MasterFileSystem.java:145)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.<init>(MasterFileSystem.java:125)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.finishActiveMasterInitialization(HMaster.java:611)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.access$500(HMaster.java:169)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster$1.run(HMaster.java:1479)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Checking documentation I ran the command on server:  sudo -u hbase hbase hbck -fixVersionFile

which gave me the following error:

ERROR util.HBaseFsck: Another instance of hbck is running, exiting this instance.[If you are sure no other instance is running, delete the lock file hdfs://myhost:8020/hbase/.tmp/hbase-hbck.lock and rerun the tool]

Thanks

Highlighted
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 303

Re: Hbase master start fails

If you are certain no other HBCK is running, have you tried to follow the printed instructions (to delete the lock file) and retry?
Announcements

Our community is getting a little larger. And a lot better.

Learn More about the Cloudera and Hortonworks community merger planned for late July and early August.