Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

... '2018-01-31T19:01:09+00:00', which cannot be converted to a timestamp." (PutSQL)

Contributor

Hi Hortonworks!

I'm facing issues with the insertion of timestamps in to a PostgreSQL database using PutSQL. More specifically when trying to insert a date in the format '2018-01-31T19:01:09+00:00' in to a timestamptz column I get the following error message:

2018-04-01 19:29:40,091 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-5] o.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL PutSQL[id=7997503a-0162-1000-ee81-a0361cad5e0c] Failed to update database for StandardFlowFileRecord[uuid=d02e8b39-e564-4c37-a08a-dab8931e9890,claim=StandardContentClaim [resourceClaim=StandardResourceClaim[id=1522615075930-15, container=default, section=15], offset=11492, length=163],offset=0,name=32836401373126,size=163] due to java.sql.SQLDataException: The value of the sql.args.5.value is '2018-01-31T20:19:35+00:00', which cannot be converted to a timestamp; routing to failure: java.sql.SQLDataException: The value of the sql.args.5.value is '2018-01-31T20:19:35+00:00', which cannot be converted to a timestamp
java.sql.SQLDataException: The value of the sql.args.5.value is '2018-01-31T20:19:35+00:00', which cannot be converted to a timestamp
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.setParameters(PutSQL.java:711)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.lambda$null$5(PutSQL.java:313)
 at org.apache.nifi.processor.util.pattern.ExceptionHandler.execute(ExceptionHandler.java:127)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.lambda$new$6(PutSQL.java:311)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.lambda$new$9(PutSQL.java:354)
 at org.apache.nifi.processor.util.pattern.PutGroup.putFlowFiles(PutGroup.java:91)
 at org.apache.nifi.processor.util.pattern.Put.onTrigger(Put.java:101)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.lambda$onTrigger$20(PutSQL.java:574)
 at org.apache.nifi.processor.util.pattern.PartialFunctions.onTrigger(PartialFunctions.java:114)
 at org.apache.nifi.processor.util.pattern.RollbackOnFailure.onTrigger(RollbackOnFailure.java:184)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.onTrigger(PutSQL.java:574)
 at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.onTrigger(StandardProcessorNode.java:1122)
 at org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.call(ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.java:147)
 at org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.call(ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.java:47)
 at org.apache.nifi.controller.scheduling.TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent$1.run(TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent.java:128)
 at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
 at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308)
 at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
 at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "2018-01-31T20:19:35+00:00"
 at java.text.DateFormat.parse(DateFormat.java:366)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.setParameter(PutSQL.java:911)
 at org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.PutSQL.setParameters(PutSQL.java:707)
 ... 21 common frames omitted

I have tested the insertion of '2018-01-31T19:01:09+00:00' in to the timestamptz column from the command line and it works perfectly. I have tried various alternative formats such as:

• '2018-01-31 19:01:09+00:00'
  • '2018-01-31 19:01:09+00'
  • '2018-01-31T19:01:09+00'
  • '2018-01-31 19:01:09'

They all fail with the same error in Nifi, even though they are all inserted just fine when performing the INSERT from the command line.

Please find a screenshot of my flow attached. Let me know if you need any more details.

64980-screenshot-from-2018-04-01-20-25-44.png

I have come across various questions regarding this topic, but I still don't get what is going on. Most notably:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I resolved this by using an ExecuteStreamCommand processor which calls a python script which converts a JSON line in to it's respective SQL insert statement. The table of interest in this case is `reddit_post`.

Code of the python script (I'm aware that there is no need for the `INSERT` argument, but this is there because I plan on adding an `UPDATE` option later on):

import json
import argparse
import sys

# For command line arguments
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(description='Converts JSON to respective SQL statement')
parser.add_argument('statement_type', type=str, nargs=1)
parser.add_argument('table_name', type=str, nargs=1)

# Reading the command line arguments
statement_type = parser.parse_args().statement_type[0]
table_name = parser.parse_args().table_name[0]

# Initialize SQL statement 
statement = ''

for line in sys.stdin:
  # Load JSON line
  lineJSON = json.loads(line)

# Add table name and SQL syntax
  if statement_type == 'INSERT':
    statement += 'INSERT INTO {} '.format(table_name)

# Add table parameters and SQL syntax
  statement += '({}) '.format(', '.join(lineJSON.keys()))

# Add table values and SQL syntax
  # Note that strings are formatted with single quotes, other data types are converted to strings (for the join method)
  statement += "VALUES ({});".format(', '.join("'{0}'".format(value) if type(value) == str else str(value) for value in lineJSON.values()))

# Send statement to stdout
  print(statement)

Configuration of ExecuteStreamCommand (Note that Argument Delimeter is set to a single space)

65001-configuration-executestreamcommand.png

Flow snippet:

65002-flow-snippet.png

I hope this can help someone that came across a similar issue. If you have any advice on how to improve the script, flow, or anything else please don't hesitate to let me know!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Contributor

I resolved this by using an ExecuteStreamCommand processor which calls a python script which converts a JSON line in to it's respective SQL insert statement. The table of interest in this case is `reddit_post`.

Code of the python script (I'm aware that there is no need for the `INSERT` argument, but this is there because I plan on adding an `UPDATE` option later on):

import json
import argparse
import sys

# For command line arguments
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(description='Converts JSON to respective SQL statement')
parser.add_argument('statement_type', type=str, nargs=1)
parser.add_argument('table_name', type=str, nargs=1)

# Reading the command line arguments
statement_type = parser.parse_args().statement_type[0]
table_name = parser.parse_args().table_name[0]

# Initialize SQL statement 
statement = ''

for line in sys.stdin:
  # Load JSON line
  lineJSON = json.loads(line)

# Add table name and SQL syntax
  if statement_type == 'INSERT':
    statement += 'INSERT INTO {} '.format(table_name)

# Add table parameters and SQL syntax
  statement += '({}) '.format(', '.join(lineJSON.keys()))

# Add table values and SQL syntax
  # Note that strings are formatted with single quotes, other data types are converted to strings (for the join method)
  statement += "VALUES ({});".format(', '.join("'{0}'".format(value) if type(value) == str else str(value) for value in lineJSON.values()))

# Send statement to stdout
  print(statement)

Configuration of ExecuteStreamCommand (Note that Argument Delimeter is set to a single space)

65001-configuration-executestreamcommand.png

Flow snippet:

65002-flow-snippet.png

I hope this can help someone that came across a similar issue. If you have any advice on how to improve the script, flow, or anything else please don't hesitate to let me know!