Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

About "Delegate Admin" in Ranger

Master Guru

About "Delegate admin" Ranger user guide says: When a policy is assigned to a user or a group of users those users become the delegated admin.The delegated admin can update, delete the policies. It can also create child policies based on the original policy (base policy). What exactly can be done? I'm assuming the delegated admin can only further reduce given permissions. Do we have any examples updating the policy and creating child policies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Predrag Minovic

See this...In my case , I have a user called demouser and I have created a policy called policy1 and its delegated policy. When I login with user demouser in ranger then I can see policy1 but when I remove delegated option from policy1 then demouser cant see it.

You can see the demo here

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Master Mentor
@Predrag Minovic

See this...In my case , I have a user called demouser and I have created a policy called policy1 and its delegated policy. When I login with user demouser in ranger then I can see policy1 but when I remove delegated option from policy1 then demouser cant see it.

You can see the demo here

Master Mentor

@Predrag Minovic It can do whatever the permissions you give to do. demouser can login and delegate other users

admin

2234-screen-shot-2016-02-17-at-110655-pm.png

demouser

2236-screen-shot-2016-02-17-at-110635-pm.png

Master Guru

Thanks @Neeraj Sabharwal, that's cool! And per specs. What else can the demouser do as the delegated admin, can he add more paths? And how about child policies, can you try to create one? Tnx.

Master Mentor

@Predrag Minovic

demouser cannot add new policy for new paths but can add more paths under the main path.

Master Mentor

@Predrag Minovic Help me to close the thread by accepting the best answer if answer was helpful.

Expert Contributor

@neeraj sabharwal

am not able to access demo video 😞

Master Guru

There is no video, it's an animated gif, located here http://i.giphy.com/l4Ki1Ng3uxdTnUTra.gif

New Contributor

Hello, From what version of Ranger this delegate admin feature is supported? This is a cool feature for multi-level provisioning powers