Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Accesing remote HBASE using java code via KNOX Gateway

Hi All,

I have developed a java application that runs in PCF (pivotal) . I would like to insert data into HBASE via KNOX gateway using this java application. Both PCF and hadoop are in different domains , so i am planning to use KNOX gateway for hbase connectivity.

I have gone through some examples which access Hadoop WebHDFS via KNOX gateway . But my requirement is not access hdfs , rather I would like to insert data in to HBASE using my java application that runs in PCF.

Can some one please share list of steps that i need to follow to accomplish above requirement. Also, please share any sample code if available. Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Accesing remote HBASE using java code via KNOX Gateway

Contributor

@Srikanth Gorripati

On infrastructure side you need to have the following in place:

• A running HBase cluster
  • At least one HBase REST server up and running. If you have more you can configure Knox in HA mode
  • Knox configured to point to the HBase REST server url and port(s).
  • You can get some help troubleshooting Knox here.

On application side you need to:

• Use a library that can perform requests to HTTP servers. (There's many and you probably have a favourite one?)
  • Direct your call to the Knox url:port endpoint using the path of the defined topology and the HBase service /gateway/default/hbase
  • Use the correct path of the HBase REST API defined in the HBase book

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Super Collaborator

You may want to use Stargate REST API Wiki page

Thank You.

Contributor

@Srikanth Gorripati

On infrastructure side you need to have the following in place:

• A running HBase cluster
  • At least one HBase REST server up and running. If you have more you can configure Knox in HA mode
  • Knox configured to point to the HBase REST server url and port(s).
  • You can get some help troubleshooting Knox here.

On application side you need to:

• Use a library that can perform requests to HTTP servers. (There's many and you probably have a favourite one?)
  • Direct your call to the Knox url:port endpoint using the path of the defined topology and the HBase service /gateway/default/hbase
  • Use the correct path of the HBase REST API defined in the HBase book

View solution in original post

Thank you. Let me try this and get back to you if any issues.

New Contributor

Hi @srikanth_velamm ,

I am also running into the same problem, where I need to connect to HBase via Knox Gateway(using Knox URL and credentials) using Java.

I am using the below HBase Client.

cimpile group: 'org.apache.hbase', name: 'hbase-client', version: '2.4.4'

Have you resolved the issue? If so, please let me know the library you used and how to connect using the Knox URL and credentials?

Thanks.

Community Manager

@saamurai, as this is an older post, you would have a better chance of receiving a resolution by starting a new thread. This will also be an opportunity to provide details specific to your environment that could aid others in assisting you with a more accurate answer to your question. You can link this thread as a reference in your new post.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community: