Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Local Repo Install requires posgres repos

Master Guru

I am using local repo installation steps on HWX site. All seems to be working until i do yum install ambari-server. it fails due to postgres repo dependency.

• Documentation did not state anything about requiring postgres repo during local ambari install
  • Why is postgres required? what if I want to use another db? it seems when i run yum install ambari-server there is no way around this. Seems to me setting up mysql or oracle back ambari is post ambari setup (or during install steps)

Any feedback appreciated.

Here is error

[root@ip-xxxxx yum.repos.d]# yum install ambari-server --skip-broken
Loaded plugins: amazon-id, rhui-lb, search-disabled-repos
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package ambari-server.x86_64 0:2.4.2.0-136 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: postgresql-server >= 8.1 for package: ambari-server-2.4.2.0-136.x86_64

Packages skipped because of dependency problems:
    ambari-server-2.4.2.0-136.x86_64 from Updates-ambari-2.4.2.0
[root@ip-xxxxxx yum.repos.d]#

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

You also need your OS local repo, at least the binaries on so-called DVD-1. ambari-server requires postgres which comes from OS repo. There is no way to avoid this with yum. You can configure ambari-server to use another database during "ambari-server setup" step. You can install only ambari-server without postgres using "rpm -ivh -nodeps ambari-server***.rpm" but it's not recommended because there are other dependencies to check like python, and even if all that works you will need OS local repo to install HDP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Guru

You also need your OS local repo, at least the binaries on so-called DVD-1. ambari-server requires postgres which comes from OS repo. There is no way to avoid this with yum. You can configure ambari-server to use another database during "ambari-server setup" step. You can install only ambari-server without postgres using "rpm -ivh -nodeps ambari-server***.rpm" but it's not recommended because there are other dependencies to check like python, and even if all that works you will need OS local repo to install HDP.

Master Mentor

@Sunile Manjee

Yes, Postgres is one of the dependency for Ambari Server that should come from OS repositories. You can find the following github code that describes what all dependencies ambari installation needs *that should come from OS repos*: ( for RHEL/CentOS, SUSE and DEB OS)

https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/release-2.4.2/ambari-server/src/main/package/dependencies.prop...

Example:

rpm.dependency.list=postgresql-server >= 8.1,\nRequires: openssl,\nRequires: python >= 2.6
rpm.dependency.list.suse=postgresql-server >= 8.1,\nRequires: openssl,\nRequires: python-xml,\nRequires: python >= 2.6
deb.dependency.list=openssl, postgresql (>= 8.1), python (>= 2.6), curl

So for a proper ambari-server installation you will need to make sure that the above RPM packages are either already installed on your ambari host OR During ambari installation they should be downloadable from the Operating system repository.

Master Guru

On AWS EC2 that is not the case. It tries to fetch the postgres repo externally.

Master Guru

Here is the solution as on AWS EC2 it tries to fetch postgres repos. I uploaded the repos from here

https://yum.postgresql.org/9.3/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/repoview/postgresqldbserver93.group.html

Installed each one

configured a BUNCH of softlinks to make this work.

I will be posting an article on this shortly to help others save much time.

Contributor

Ambari Product Docs define database requirements, at:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-installation/content/database_requ....

Ambari installs PostgresSQL as the default, (since Ambari v2).

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-installation/content/setup_options...

describes how to specify database type and location.

Thanks for posting additional, specific information for AWS EC2.