Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Ambari Problem

Highlighted

Ambari Problem

New Contributor

Ok, I understand this question has been asked many times but I would like a definitive answer on this as there are are many conflicting answers. I keep having issues with my Ambari UI. I am using hortonworks 2.5 Virtual Machine. Heres the problem, when I load the fresh VM first time, ambari UI loads fine and I can use its services. When I shut it down, I tried as suggested, I 'Stop-All' services in ambari UI, and paused and saved the VM before closing it, as many suggested.

Then....when I come back the next day (use it the 2nd time) the problem starts... I turn on HDFS, YARN in that order, but the services cant start, with an orange bar, instead of green, that its in progress, and then it cant be opened. It stays like this many hours or never.

So I would like to ask, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?? Is it with my computer, or is there another way to shut down VM that I am not following? Am i missing something fundamental here?? I am at the edge of my wits, Been at it for 4-5 days spending 10 hours each day and I cant figure it out. Please Help.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Ambari Problem

Mentor

@Saurabh Sakpal
I didn't follow your other thread usually when you run the "Stop all" all the services should shutdown correctly and then you just shut down the VM, I don't understand why you paused the VM?

Have you Enabled virtualization extensions in your BIOS? If you aint sure check it out!

1. Reboot the computer and open the system's BIOS menu. This can usually be done by pressing the delete key, the F1 key or Alt and F4 keys depending on the system.
  2. Select Restore Defaults or Restore Optimized Defaults, and then select Save & Exit.
  3. Power off the machine and disconnect the power supply.
  4. Enabling the virtualization extensions in BIOS
  5. Power on the machine and open the BIOS (as per Step 1).
  6. Open the Processor submenu The processor settings menu may be hidden in the Chipset, Advanced CPU Configuration or Northbridge.
  7. Enable Intel Virtualization Technology (also known as Intel VT) or AMD-V depending on the brand of the processor. The virtualization extensions may be labelled Virtualization Extensions, Vanderpool or various other names depending on the OEM and system BIOS.

HTH

New Contributor

My problem is, my sandbox was working, I was doing a few pig tutorials via ambari the first couple of hours, when I come back on the next day, nothing loads in the ambari UI, like heartbeat lost. If it was a virtualisation problem it wouldnt have worked in the first place, right?

New Contributor

I paused VM and saved it as other people said thats the way they do it, and its better than simply shutting it down.

Super Mentor

@Saurabh Sakpal

Sometimes pausing VM causes some N/W services interruption. So please try shutting down the VM and then try restarting the VM once. In most cases it should fix the issue.

However If you still face any issue even after restarting the VM then please try restarting the ambari agent and share the complete agent log.

# ambari-agent restart ; tail -f /var/log/ambari-agent/ambari-agent.log

New Contributor

97494-vm1.png

So I press exit on virtual machine, then when it prompts me with this screen i choose option 'send the shutdown signal' correct?

Super Mentor

@Saurabh Sakpal

Please choose the option "Power Off the machine" option and then press OK to exit.

Then start the Sandbox VM freshlyand then test again.

New Contributor

here it is, thanks again for taking the time out to help me.

Super Mentor

@Saurabh Sakpal

The attached image seems to have some issue ... i am not able to open it.

Can you also attach "ambari-agent.log" and ambari-server.log ?

New Contributor

Ok here is the log of ambari-agent.log file as i performed the 'ambari-agent restart' command

96535-1.png