Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari shows wrong state of Services on Host

Rising Star

Hi Community,

We have seen an unusual behavior on our Hortonworks cluster, where on one of the Host Ambari shows that all the services are down, but in real the services are running properly, this happened even after running the services from Ambari.

Following has been checked.

1) Verified the status of services from logs e.g. /var/hadoop/hdfs/hadoop-namenode .... (Shows running)

2) Checked the PID of services from /var/run/<servicename>/<servicename.pid> (The new PID was present).

3) Ambari agents and ambari server was stopped and started as well, but it didn't help.

Is there any way to fix this issue? If you need more information, please do let me know.

HDP Version: 2.3.4

Ambari Version: 2.1.1

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers !

Hammad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Hello All,

Thanks all for your help, I managed to resolve the issue by doing the following:

1) I realized that in the ambari-agent logs I have this error message

{'msg':'Unable to read structured output from /var/lib/ambari-agent/data/structured-out-status.json'}

2) For resolving this first stop ambari agent

3) move the move /var/lib/ambari-agent/data/structured-out-status.json to /tmp.

4) Restart the ambari-agent.

5) Everything is green again.

Actually I followed a post mentioned here: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/16953/unable-to-start-hdp-serrvices-from-ambari.html

Don't know the exact reason behind this, but i was able to fix the issue.

Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Contributor

I've only ever seen this happen when the ambari agent process terminates on a host. In 3) you mention stopping and starting the agent. What's that status of the agent when ambari is showing the wrong state? What's does the ambari agent log file (/var/log/ambari-agent/ambari-agent.log) say ?

[root@sandbox ~]# ambari-agent status Found ambari-agent PID: 2877 ambari-agent running. Agent PID at: /var/run/ambari-agent/ambari-agent.pid Agent out at: /var/log/ambari-agent/ambari-agent.out Agent log at: /var/log/ambari-agent/ambari-agent.log

Contributor

@Hammad Ali

Can you please post few lines from "ambari-server.log" and the "ambari-agent.log (from the host where the NN is running" , Where it is either ERROR or WARN.?

Also starting ambari-agent.log in DEBUG mode will help in this case. It can be done by editing the file "/etc/ambari-agent/conf/ambari-agent.ini" changing loglevel from INFO to debug as following

loglevel = DEBUG

Expert Contributor
@Hammad Ali

This most definitely looks like an agent issue.

Can you check if

1. There are stale agent processes

2. The agent is up and running (And not shutting down after starting for some reason)

To confirm both, you can use :

ps -ef | grep "ambari_agent"

Rising Star

Hello All,

Thanks all for your help, I managed to resolve the issue by doing the following:

1) I realized that in the ambari-agent logs I have this error message

{'msg':'Unable to read structured output from /var/lib/ambari-agent/data/structured-out-status.json'}

2) For resolving this first stop ambari agent

3) move the move /var/lib/ambari-agent/data/structured-out-status.json to /tmp.

4) Restart the ambari-agent.

5) Everything is green again.

Actually I followed a post mentioned here: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/16953/unable-to-start-hdp-serrvices-from-ambari.html

Don't know the exact reason behind this, but i was able to fix the issue.

Thanks again for your help.