Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Ranger external user

Rising Star

Hi,

How can i get a user created in ambari in Apache Ranger?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hi,

You can not create user in Ambari that will be visible in Apache Ranger. You need to create user in Apache Ranger and then in your local system (with the same username), or you can synchronize users with Active Directory.

To create user in Apache Ranger you need to have admin privileges, then go to Settings -> Users/Groups and "Add New User"

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Super Collaborator

I am not sure that you can sync UNIX users with Ambari (I have never tried), but I would create UNIX users manually in Ambari.

there is no automatic sync from ambari to ranger. but if the user you created in ambari present also in your machine and unix sync is configured in ranger then it will be automatically syncd.

but as there are three ways to sync users in ambari

1) UNIX

2) LDAP/AD

3) File

so there can be following solution that suits your use case

a) either configure same AD server for both ranger and ambari , so users will be in sync

b) if you are creating users manually in ambari then you can use file sync and keep on adding the same users in file what you creating in ambari

Rising Star

Thank you,

Rising Star

Hello Deepak,

I have created a policy in Ranger and i have assigned it to a user in UNIX and i want that user in Ambari so that when he tries to perform a specific task policy is activated and user id denied. Can you help me how to do that like how to get UNIX user in Ambari?

Thank you