Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Bad Symbolic reference on SQLContext.class when compiling with spark 1.6.0-cdh5.9.1

New Contributor

Hi,

I am using CDH 5.9.1. I submitted a spark job which uses a jar compiled with spark 1.6.0. Got following exception :

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at org.apache.spark.Logging$class.log(Logging.scala:50)

So, tried to build that jar with spark 1.6.0-cdh5.9.1:

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>
      <artifactId>spark-core_2.10</artifactId>
      <version>1.6.0-cdh5.9.1</version>
    <scope>provided</scope>
   </dependency>

It has 4 spark dependencies: spark-core, spark-catalyst, spark-hive and spark-sql. Getting following compilation error:

[ERROR] error: bad symbolic reference. A signature in SQLContext.class refers to term runtime
[INFO] in package scala.reflect which is not available.
[INFO] It may be completely missing from the current classpath, or the version on
[INFO] the classpath might be incompatible with the version used when compiling SQLContext.class.

scala-library 2.10.4 was used. Same issue was seen even changing it to 2.10.5.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Though compilation with spark 1.6.0-cdh5.9.1 wasn't successful, my problem got solved. I compiled my code with spark 1.6.0. That compiled successfully but while running, "java.lang.AbstractMethodError" was thrown in Spark logging api. I replaced spark logging with log4j in my code and after that it worked fine.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

New Contributor

Though compilation with spark 1.6.0-cdh5.9.1 wasn't successful, my problem got solved. I compiled my code with spark 1.6.0. That compiled successfully but while running, "java.lang.AbstractMethodError" was thrown in Spark logging api. I replaced spark logging with log4j in my code and after that it worked fine.