Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Build HBase from source with Ambari deploy

Explorer

I'd like to use Ambari but be able to build HBase from source as we need a custom co-processor. Is there a documented way of doing this or do I have to turn into a full-custom install?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

End of the day, Ambari calls yum install (or the equivalent zypper/apt) to install the hbase packages. Post install if you replace the jars or other libraries then it will be transparent to Ambari (e.g. in /usr/hdp/2.6.0.0-457/hbase/lib). Of course this means that if you do Add Host then the same steps have to repeated.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor

You can deploy HBase as it ships with HDP and then deploy the jar for Co-processor to all RS with pdsh or Ansible or anything else. Editing hbase-site will be handled via Ambari configs. You don't need to rebuild HBase source.

Explorer

@Artem we do need to rebuild HBase since we need to run custom co-processors from Thrift. We want to do something like is described here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5600 "We could create a thrift method to take the name of the class, method, and an array of params and then call coprocessorExec". If there's a better way to run a custom co-processor and access it from Thrift I'm all ears. But this brings me back to a good way to run a custom build of HBase with Ambari.

Super Guru

You're probably going to have a rough time trying to build a Thrift server inside of a coprocessor.

Why not just create a Thrift server external to HBase which can access your custom coprocessor via the standard protobuf RPCs?

End of the day, Ambari calls yum install (or the equivalent zypper/apt) to install the hbase packages. Post install if you replace the jars or other libraries then it will be transparent to Ambari (e.g. in /usr/hdp/2.6.0.0-457/hbase/lib). Of course this means that if you do Add Host then the same steps have to repeated.

Explorer

That's what I was thinking. Was just wondering if there was a way to define a custom package somehow. Thanks!

Master Mentor

@Vasco Pinho this is an interesting thread and I'm curious which path you'll take here, please accept the answer that best addresses your question. Thanks.