Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CDH 5.8.0 yarn user permissions on installation

Explorer

Using Cloudera Manager for CDH 5.8.0, deploying on AWS machines with RH 7.2.

When installing YARN, the NodeManagers fail to start. Looking at the logs, there is an exception as follows:

Service org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.recovery.NMLeveldbStateStoreService failed in state INITED; cause: org.fusesource.leveldbjni.internal.NativeDB$DBException: IO error: /var/lib/hadoop-yarn/yarn-nm-recovery/yarn-nm-state/LOCK: Permission denied
org.fusesource.leveldbjni.internal.NativeDB$DBException: IO error: /var/lib/hadoop-yarn/yarn-nm-recovery/yarn-nm-state/LOCK: Permission denied
	at org.fusesource.leveldbjni.internal.NativeDB.checkStatus(NativeDB.java:200)
	at org.fusesource.leveldbjni.internal.NativeDB.open(NativeDB.java:218)
	at org.fusesource.leveldbjni.JniDBFactory.open(JniDBFactory.java:168)
	at ....

This error is actually identical to the one reported in this post

https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/CDH5-2-yarn-nm-state-LOCK-Permission...

Although the version/diagnostics are not the same.

Anyway, I've connected to one of NodeManager machines to take a look, and eventually I've seen that the home directory of yarn belonged to root and did not have any permissions:

d---------. 2 root root 6 Aug 5 05:53 hadoop-yarn

As soon as I've given permissions to it, the NodeManager has started properly.

chown -R yarn:yarn /var/lib/hadoop-yarn
chmod 770 /var/lib/hadoop-yarn
drwxrwx---. 3 yarn yarn 49 Aug 5 06:37 hadoop-yarn

However, I don't want to do this for all the machines (and potentially for many other users that I see are wrong in the /var/lib directory), and I think it must be my mistake when installing...

I've tried removing the YARN service and installing it again, but I get the same result.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

The problem got solved.

The solution of the problem was as "simple" as re-running everything using CentOS 6.4. (Red Hat 7.2 is not really in the explicit list of supported versions).

Although at the same time I could connect to the AWS instances with the user "root" (in RH 7.2 AWS I had to do it with "ec2-user"). Not sure about the difference between the 2 users in AWS, but it may or may not be the reason why the issue was solved.

Thanks everybody. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Explorer

The problem got solved.

The solution of the problem was as "simple" as re-running everything using CentOS 6.4. (Red Hat 7.2 is not really in the explicit list of supported versions).

Although at the same time I could connect to the AWS instances with the user "root" (in RH 7.2 AWS I had to do it with "ec2-user"). Not sure about the difference between the 2 users in AWS, but it may or may not be the reason why the issue was solved.

Thanks everybody. 

Explorer

having the same issue but not sure about the solution here  , how is Red Hat 7.2 not in the explicit list of supported versions ?

Explorer

Fair enough. I've tried to remember and looked again for the info and found this,

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/release-notes/topics/rn_consolidated_pcm.html#os58

which says that 5.8 supports RH7.2

Maybe the problem is that at that time I read this page

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-6-x/topics/cdh_ig_req_supported_versions.html

in which support for CDH 5 in general goes only until RH7.1

To be honest, at that moment I was just trying to train myself and I did not need to stick to RH7.2, but of course now I would not dare to say which one is supported and which one isn't.

Explorer
yep , gotta pick your battles .still would love some help with this one ....