Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can Apache Metron be installed using CDH or EMR rather than HortonWorks ?

Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

Metron uses Storm, Kafka, HDFS, Spark, Zepplein, Zookeeper and HBase primarily, which are available in other distributions. However, the primary deployment method is through Ambari, so it tends to work a lot better on HDP. All Hortonworks testing of the platform is certainly done on the HDP platform, so it will certainly be a lot easier to use. For AWS type deployments, it may also be worth considering HDC, which is essentially HDP but packaged up in the same way as EMR running on Amazon. s3 could also make sense as a long term storage platform for Metron replacing the HDFS default.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Guru

Metron uses Storm, Kafka, HDFS, Spark, Zepplein, Zookeeper and HBase primarily, which are available in other distributions. However, the primary deployment method is through Ambari, so it tends to work a lot better on HDP. All Hortonworks testing of the platform is certainly done on the HDP platform, so it will certainly be a lot easier to use. For AWS type deployments, it may also be worth considering HDC, which is essentially HDP but packaged up in the same way as EMR running on Amazon. s3 could also make sense as a long term storage platform for Metron replacing the HDFS default.

New Contributor

@Simon Elliston Ball

@Rahul P

Technically yes, it can be installed on CDH and MapR. Not so sure about EMR as I don't know how much customizable EMR is. But I'd say things will be easy once Metron 1.0 is out. My team is currently struggling to keep the Metron cluster healthy and highly available (we are using v0.4x). Once we see stable version coming out, and also more importantly we figure out how it integrates with Elastic and Storm (currently Mpack takes care of all this), then it would be ready for porting to other Hadoop distributions. We do have plans of doing that but don't want to jump and waste time doing it now. We are ok developing our solution on HDP for now. Hope this helps. I will try to keep us posted on when and how we do it.