Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can I install HDF (NiFi only) on Edge Node of HDP cluster? I understand that I can't install Ambari managed HDF on Edge Node if I already have HDP deployed on my cluster.

Rising Star

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@hitaay

Yes. You can install NiFi. The only thing I recommend is to not use the Ambari server dedicated for HDP. While it can work to add Nifi as another service with a few tricks, you will collide with HDP in regard to support and upgrades. Avoid that. You can even have your own Ambari server for NiFi, but that is probably overkill and you won't get much benefit as you would get if you were truly installing HDF.

Instead, you could use "How to install and start NiFi" installation instructions presented at https://nifi.apache.org/docs.html. In principle, you download an archived installation file, unarchive to your preferred location and start the NiFi service.

I assume that you understand the consequences of collocating NiFi with other client services deployed on the edge nodes. It depends on how you plan to use those client services and NiFi, but they could compete for resources.

++++

If any of the responses in this thread was helpful, please vote/accept best response.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Guru

@hitaay

Yes. You can install NiFi. The only thing I recommend is to not use the Ambari server dedicated for HDP. While it can work to add Nifi as another service with a few tricks, you will collide with HDP in regard to support and upgrades. Avoid that. You can even have your own Ambari server for NiFi, but that is probably overkill and you won't get much benefit as you would get if you were truly installing HDF.

Instead, you could use "How to install and start NiFi" installation instructions presented at https://nifi.apache.org/docs.html. In principle, you download an archived installation file, unarchive to your preferred location and start the NiFi service.

I assume that you understand the consequences of collocating NiFi with other client services deployed on the edge nodes. It depends on how you plan to use those client services and NiFi, but they could compete for resources.

++++

If any of the responses in this thread was helpful, please vote/accept best response.