Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can ambari manage an exists hadoop cluster an update it to hdp?And how?

Expert Contributor

I used to install hadoop apache and use user defined file path.

Now I want to use ambari and hdp version,but I have a lot of data ,about tens of TB data.

Is there a way to use ambari manage the exists hadoop cluster?

And then I want to upgrade to ambari and hdp version,is there a way not stop the exists cluster for a too long time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Hi @darkz yu, you need to perform the so-called Takeover by Ambari, check this for your options. The easiest way to do it, provided you don't have a lot of data is a variant of option 1 from that post, meaning to export all important data from your current cluster, setup a new cluster using Ambari, and then import your data into new cluster. Note that you will need to export/import hdfs files, Hive tables, and HBase tables separately. If you want to do it keeping your data "in place" then you can consider options 2 and 3: takeover using Ambari REST API, or by using a dummy cluster. Both are more complicated than option 1.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Guru

Hi @darkz yu, you need to perform the so-called Takeover by Ambari, check this for your options. The easiest way to do it, provided you don't have a lot of data is a variant of option 1 from that post, meaning to export all important data from your current cluster, setup a new cluster using Ambari, and then import your data into new cluster. Note that you will need to export/import hdfs files, Hive tables, and HBase tables separately. If you want to do it keeping your data "in place" then you can consider options 2 and 3: takeover using Ambari REST API, or by using a dummy cluster. Both are more complicated than option 1.

Contributor

@darkz yu - this is an Ambari takeover situation. However, there are some manual steps involved and there are some tricky situations, so we recommend a professional service engagement to help make this successful. That will include both having Ambari take over the existing cluster as well as perform the upgrade.