Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can't create table with encoding iso-8859-1

Hi guys

I'm struggling to create an Hive table, in which I can store german city names like München.

I create the table in the follwoing way:

CREATE external TABLE marketing.town ( lang String, town String) stored AS orc LOCATION'hdfs://xx/xx/xx/xx/xx/marketing/town' tblproperties ("orc.compress"="SNAPPY", 'store.charset'='ISO-8859-1', 'retrieve.charset'= 'ISO-8859-1') ; ALTER TABLE marketing.town SET serdeproperties ('serialization.encoding'='ISO-8859-1');

When i now fill the table:

insert into marketing.town values ('german', 'München'); insert into marketing.town values ('english', 'Munich');

I get the follwoing output:

19555-25-07-2017-12-57-03.png

Can you give me a hint, I'm lost...

Best Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Markus Baettig

This is known issue related to insert into statements with unicode characters and Hive Jiras HIVE-11721 and HIVE-12207 are reported for the same.

Contact Hortonworks support for HOTFIX or workaround is to create the external table on existing file with unicode characters.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Markus Baettig

This is known issue related to insert into statements with unicode characters and Hive Jiras HIVE-11721 and HIVE-12207 are reported for the same.

Contact Hortonworks support for HOTFIX or workaround is to create the external table on existing file with unicode characters.

Contributor

do you have any idea about creating hive table in arabic language (hdp 3.1) , is not a valid table name .

there should be a way to let hive metadata accept utf-8 for creating tables ?

Community Manager

@oudaysaada As this is an older post you would have a better chance of receiving a resolution by starting a new thread. This will also provide the opportunity to provide details specific to your environment that could aid others in providing a more accurate answer to your question. 

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

@Sindhu Thanks!

Explorer

Any permanent fix on this iso8859 issue