Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can't execute query - Permission denied?,Can't execute DDL query

Explorer

Hi, I encountered this 'permission denied - 500' error when executing the DDL query.

<small>java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:java.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=hive, access=WRITE, inode="/apps":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:319)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:219)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:190)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkPermission(FSDirectory.java:1955)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkPermission(FSDirectory.java:1939)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkPathAccess(FSDirectory.java:1913)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkAccess(FSNamesystem.java:8751)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.checkAccess(NameNodeRpcServer.java:2089)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.checkAccess(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:1454)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:640)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:982)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2351)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2347)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1866)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2345) </small>

)

I am on admin account. I need help as this is my first time dealing with HDCloud.
Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

Hi @Mohammad Shazreen Bin Haini,

Your query is trying to write to /apps location to which "hive" user doesn't have permission.

Change the permission of the folder and try running the query.

hdfs dfs -chmod 777 /apps

Thanks,

Aditya

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Rising Star

Connect to hdp vm server as root, then switch hdfs user and then check directory ownership & permission.

[root@fqdn]# su hdfs

[hdfs@fqdn]# hdfs dfs -ls /apps

[hdfs@fqdn]# hdfs dfs -ls /apps/hive

[hdfs@fqdn]# hdfs dfs -chmod 755 /apps/hive

[hdfs@fqdn]# hdfs dfs -chmod 777 /apps/hive/warehouse

if the ownership is incorrect, then try it.

[hdfs@fqdn]# hdfs dfs -chown hdfs:hdfs /apps/hive

[hdfs@fqdn]# hdfs dfs -chown hive:hdfs /apps/hive/warehouse

Explorer

@Aditya Sirna Tried SSH the node, but now when I try
hdfs dfs -chmod 777/apps
it says

Permission denied: user=cloudbreak is not the owner of inode=apps

Super Guru

You have to run it as hdfs user

Run su hdfs and run the chmod command

Thanks,

Aditya

Explorer

Thank you so much. The query works now.

-----------------------
SSH to your node, run su hdfs, and then run the chmod command, and then execute the query.