Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Cannot Query Hive from Within Tableau Desktop

Cannot Query Hive from Within Tableau Desktop

New Contributor

Hi Colleagues: I can connect Tableau to Horton sandbox 2.6.3 using the Horton ODBC Driver - I can pick a schema, a table, and see the data within Tableau's data source connection environment. I can even create an extract from within the data source connection environment.

My problem is that when I try to build a Tableau view of the data by dragging a data field on to the row or columns shelf, nothing happens - I get the standard Tableau message box ("Computing visualisation of sheet...") but the query hangs and never returns any data. Ultimately, I just cancel the query.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. All my Sandbox Settings (within Virtual Box) are green.

Best wishes, Michael Martin

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cannot Query Hive from Within Tableau Desktop

Hi @Michael Martin Unfortunately, the answer may simply be your sandbox doesn't have the resources to execute the query in a timely manner. Keep in mind the sandbox is not a distributed environment so you don't get the benefits which would help drive a resource intensive operation like a BI query.

One step would be to manually execute the query in beeline or in the Hive view and see if you can get results. Also, check your YARN jobs to see what it might be waiting on. Other options is to reduce the data set and enable LLAP. When you enable LLAP be sure your Tableau is pointing to the correct H2 instance.

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

Hi Scott: Thanks for your comment. Funnily enough, I can connect Tableau to another instance of the Hortonworks Sandbox on a different machine - a laptop - with only 8 GB allocated to the Sandbox.

The problem machine has more memory, so I allocated 16 GB to the Sandbox. Both instances are configured the same, all services are green, have install the ODBC driver on both machines, so I'm scratching my head..... Best wishes, Michael

New Contributor

Hi Scott: Your suggestion re: starting LLAP did the trick. As a newbie, I have very little idea of the dependencies and connections between the various services within Hortonworks but I'll learn.

There is a very helpful tutorial on the Hortonworks site that stepped me through setting up LLAP, and all seems to be working fine - an education for me. Interestingly enough, I didn't need to enable LLAP on the other instance of the sandbox I have running on a Laptop with 8 GB allocated. Thanks for pointing me in what in this case, was the right direction!

Best wishes, Michael Martin

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here