Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cannot extract Cloudera-Training-VM-4.1.1.c.vmdk

New Contributor

Hi

I am new to Hadoop and during training on Udacity, there is a requirement to download and install the VM. However, when i try to extract the files from the link http://content.udacity-data.com/courses/ud617/Cloudera-Udacity-Training-VM-4.1.1.c.zip ; the file "Cloudera-Training-VM-4.1.1.c.vmdk" fails to extract and i get a message saying the file is corrupt. I have tried extracting using both zip and winrar.

Could someone please let me know if they faced the same problem and how they overcame that?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Cloudera Employee

I had originally written that "this virtual machine was neither created nor distributed by Cloudera" and recommended that you contact Udacity for assistance, but then I realized this actually was something Cloudera created in conjunction with Udacity many years ago. I apologize for not recognizing that before my original post. Although the people who developed that course are no longer with Cloudera, I will provide some information below that I hope you'll find helpful.

Although I don't have a Windows machine readily available, I was able to download and unzip the file you referenced on both Red Hat Linux 7 (using the unzip utility) and Mac OS 10.14 (using the Finder application), so I can confirm the file is not actually corrupt.

I do recall that the built-in zip feature in Windows XP, as well as some third-party utilities for Microsoft Windows, could not properly extract zip files containing a member that is more than 4.0 GB uncompressed. That is almost certainly the problem you're having, as the Cloudera-Training-VM-4.1.1.c.vmdk file is 4.2 GB uncompressed.  I'd recommend trying a few other decompression utilities until you find one that works. In particular, you should consider trying the open source 7-zip utility.

New Contributor

I have had the same problem recently, and using 7-zip fixed the issue for me, thanks!