Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cannot get Apache Spark to start

Contributor

Hello again friends -

I am working the tutorial "A Lap Around Apache Spark" and running into an issue. I am executing the following command:

./bin/spark-shell --master yarn-client --driver-memory 512m--executor-memory 512m

Which seems to start OK - but apparently not, as it seems to get stuck and repeat the following message every second:

3615-virtualbox-hortonworks-sandbox-with-hdp-232-22-04.png

And it will keep repeating the same message over and over again until I hit CTRL+C.

I am wondering about the $JAVA_HOME variable. I have tried remedying the above condition with different variations, none of which seem to have any effect. The current value of $JAVA_HOME is as follows:

3616-gowbd.png

Any thoughts? I hate the thought of giving up on this module until I understand what is creating this error.

Thanking all of you in advance - your response to my inquiries in the past have been spectacular, and I am very grateful.

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Check do you have enough Yarn memory and what's your yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb. Even with driver/executor memory set to 512m, another 384m are needed for the overhead, meaning 896m for the driver and each executor. Also try using only one executor: "--num-executors 1".

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Master Guru

Hi @Mike Vogt, thanks and glad to hear it worked. Can you kindly accept the answer and thus help us managing answered questions. Tnx!