Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cannot modify hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode at runtime

I've seen several different examples online of people setting this property in Hive at runtime, but I am not able to through beeline. I've even set up the whitelist in Ambari for this property, but I'm still unable to set it.

hive.security.authorization.sqlstd.confwhitelist=hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions,hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode

But when I try this in beeline:

0: jdbc:hive2://whqlhdpm004:10000/hive> set hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode=1000;

I get the following error:

Error: Error while processing statement: Cannot modify hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode at runtime. It is not in list of params that are allowed to be modified at runtime (state=42000,code=1)

8 REPLIES 8

@Barret Miller

i didn't see any issue in hdp2.3.4

10875-pernode.png

Thanks for the response. I did not mention, we are on HDP 2.4.2

Guru

@Barret Miller Did you restart the hive services post the changes ?

Yes, I've restarted services from Ambari.

Guru

Can you provide output of "set hive.security.authorization.sqlstd.confwhitelist". You should also ensure that the property is not present in "hive.conf.restricted.list" as it supersedes the whitelist declaration.

I figured out the issue. The problem was in the format of the hive.security.authorization.sqlstd.confwhitelist in Ambari. It say's it's just a comma delimited list, but if you inspect the value in beeline e.g.

set hive.security.authorization.sqlstd.confwhitelist;

you see it's actually pipe delimited, and all of the periods are escaped with a backslash. If I put in exactly that format. e.g.:

hive\.auto\..*|hive\.cbo\..*|hive\.convert\..*|hive\.exec\.dynamic\.partition.*|hive\.exec\..*\.dynamic\.partitions\..*|hive\.exec\.compress\..*|hive\.exec\.infer\..*|hive\.exec\.mode.local\..*|hive\.exec\.orc\..*|hive\.exec\.parallel.*|hive\.explain\..*|hive\.fetch.task\..*|hive\.groupby\..*|hive\.hbase\..*|hive\.index\..*|hive\.index\..*|hive\.intermediate\..*|hive\.join\..*|hive\.limit\..*|hive\.log\..*|hive\.mapjoin\..*|hive\.merge\..*|hive\.optimize\..*|hive\.orc\..*|hive\.outerjoin\..*|hive\.parquet\..*|hive\.ppd\..*|hive\.prewarm\..*|hive\.server2\.proxy\.user|hive\.skewjoin\..*|hive\.smbjoin\..*|hive\.stats\..*|hive\.tez\..*|hive\.vectorized\..*|mapred\.map\..*|mapred\.reduce\..*|mapred\.output\.compression\.codec|mapred\.job\.queuename|mapred\.output\.compression\.type|mapred\.min\.split\.size|mapreduce\.job\.reduce\.slowstart\.completedmaps|mapreduce\.job\.queuename|mapreduce\.job\.tags|mapreduce\.input\.fileinputformat\.split\.minsize|mapreduce\.map\..*|mapreduce\.reduce\..*|mapreduce\.output\.fileoutputformat\.compress\.codec|mapreduce\.output\.fileoutputformat\.compress\.type|tez\.am\..*|tez\.task\..*|tez\.runtime\..*|tez.queue.name|hive\.exec\.reducers\.bytes\.per\.reducer|hive\.client\.stats\.counters|hive\.exec\.default\.partition\.name|hive\.exec\.drop\.ignorenonexistent|hive\.counters\.group\.name|hive\.default\.fileformat\.managed|hive\.enforce\.bucketing|hive\.enforce\.bucketmapjoin|hive\.enforce\.sorting|hive\.enforce\.sortmergebucketmapjoin|hive\.cache\.expr\.evaluation|hive\.hashtable\.loadfactor|hive\.hashtable\.initialCapacity|hive\.ignore\.mapjoin\.hint|hive\.limit\.row\.max\.size|hive\.mapred\.mode|hive\.map\.aggr|hive\.compute\.query\.using\.stats|hive\.exec\.rowoffset|hive\.variable\.substitute|hive\.variable\.substitute\.depth|hive\.autogen\.columnalias\.prefix\.includefuncname|hive\.autogen\.columnalias\.prefix\.label|hive\.exec\.check\.crossproducts|hive\.compat|hive\.exec\.concatenate\.check\.index|hive\.display\.partition\.cols\.separately|hive\.error\.on\.empty\.partition|hive\.execution\.engine|hive\.exim\.uri\.scheme\.whitelist|hive\.file\.max\.footer|hive\.mapred\.supports\.subdirectories|hive\.insert\.into\.multilevel\.dirs|hive\.localize\.resource\.num\.wait\.attempts|hive\.multi\.insert\.move\.tasks\.share\.dependencies|hive\.support\.quoted\.identifiers|hive\.resultset\.use\.unique\.column\.names|hive\.analyze\.stmt\.collect\.partlevel\.stats|hive\.server2\.logging\.operation\.level|hive\.support\.sql11\.reserved\.keywords|hive\.exec\.job\.debug\.capture\.stacktraces|hive\.exec\.job\.debug\.timeout|hive\.exec\.max\.created\.files|hive\.exec\.reducers\.max|hive\.reorder\.nway\.joins|hive\.output\.file\.extension|hive\.exec\.show\.job\.failure\.debug\.info|hive\.exec\.tasklog\.debug\.timeout|parquet\.compression|hive\.exec\.max\.dynamic\.partitions|hive\.exec\.max\.dynamic\.partitions\.pernode

Then I can set these values at runtime:

0: jdbc:hive2://whqlhdpm004:10000/lab> set hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode;
+------------------------------------------------+--+
|                      set                       |
| hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode=5000  |
1 row selected (0.117 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://whqlhdpm004:10000/lab> set hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode=10000;
No rows affected (0.003 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://whqlhdpm004:10000/lab> set hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode;
+-------------------------------------------------+--+
|                       set                       |
| hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode=10000  |
1 row selected (0.005 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://whqlhdpm004:10000/lab>

Now my question is whether this is a bug, because it looks like I should already be able to modify this parameter based on the default. If you look, this is the value of the 5th position:

hive\.exec\..*\.dynamic\.partitions\..*

So it looks like this would allow hive.exec.*.dynamic.partitions.*

or hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode

Contributor

Yes had the same issue with comma seperated values,Pipe seperation did fix it.

Thanks