Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Changing Ranger UI password causing Namenode issues

Changing Ranger UI password causes Namenode to stop because it seems that the password needs to be updated in HDFS plugin within HDFS config. However, I am not sure which config needs to be updated in HDFS plugin. Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

305-screen-shot-2015-10-22-at-43952-pm.png

Thanks for posting the solution. Only 1 entry needs to be updated.

Don't change the following entry

306-screen-shot-2015-10-22-at-45230-pm.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

If you have changed ranger admin password in Ranger UI, that needs to be updated in Ambari as well. Please update admin_password under Advanced ranger-env section.

Vel, thanks for the answer. Just because Neeraj has the screen snapshots (which will make it clearer for the next guys), I will select his answer as correct but I know you are the source for his answer too 🙂

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

305-screen-shot-2015-10-22-at-43952-pm.png

Thanks for posting the solution. Only 1 entry needs to be updated.

Don't change the following entry

306-screen-shot-2015-10-22-at-45230-pm.png

New Contributor

Hello Neeraj, I tried changing the ranger admin password to "admin" in Ambari UI - Ranger - Config - Advanced Ranger Env.
However not able to access Ranger UI. Can you please advice if this password has to be changed any other place.
Thank you.

@vperiasamy@hortonworks.com Can you explain what is "Ranger Admin user's password for Ambari"? I thought it was the password for admin user on ambari, but I tried to change it with new ambari admin's password and it breaks hdfs and hive services as well. I updated only "admin_password" with new Ranger admin password like Neeraj's screenshot and it worked.

Thank you.

@Guilherme Braccialli - For managing ranger repo's from within Ambari, an admin user is created the first time (default name is amb_ranger_admin - see Advanced ranger-env section). The field you are referring to is the password for this particular user.

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Could you please let me know where is this amb_ranger_admin user name is stored? (Ambari/Ranger databases)?