Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Client can not authenticate via ( token, kerberos)

Explorer

I am getting client can not communicate via ( token, kerberos) exception when I am trying to access yarn resource manager from java application. 

As part of my requirement in my spark java application I need to check some other applications running or not. For this I am using YarnClient class when I try to access this method getting above mentioned exception. 

Same working for me in my local system with kerberos authentication. 

I am using Hadoop library classes only to authenticate. UsergroupInformation class

IMG_20230905_203420.jpg

IMG_20230905_203620.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Community Manager

@Kolli Welcome to the Cloudera Community!

To help you get the best possible solution, I have tagged our YARN expert @Bharati  who may be able to assist you further.

Please keep us updated on your post, and we hope you find a satisfactory solution to your query.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Explorer

Hi Diana, 

Thank you. 

Attaching more logs for reference

2023/09/04 09:30:05.522 INFO o.a.h.s.UserGroupInformation
: Login successful for user abc using keytab file abc. Keytab auto renewal enabled : false
2023/09/04 09:30:05.522 INFO c.s.f.c.s.c.SchedulingConfig After login
2023/09/04 09:30:05.730 WARN o.a.h.i.Client
Exception encountered while connecting to the server : org.apache.hadoop. security.AccessControlException: Client cannot authenticate via: [TOKEN, KERBEROS] 2023/09/04 09:30:05.734 ERROR o.a.s.d.y.ApplicationMaster
: User class threw exception: java.io. IOException: DestHost: destPort uklvadhdp123 : 8032 , LocalHost: localPort ukhdp/133.0Failed on local exception: java.io. IOException: org.apache. hadoop. security. AccessControlException: Client cannot authenticate via: [TOKEN, KERBEROS]

java.io. IOException: DestHost: destPort uklvad, LocalHost: localPort Failed on local exception: java.io. IOException: org. apache. hadoop. security. AccessControlException: Client cannot authenticate via: [TOKEN, KERBEROS]
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0 (Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance (NativeConstructorAccessorImpl. java : 62) at sun. reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance (DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl. java : 45) at java.lang.reflect. Constructor.newInstance (Constructor. java : 423) at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils. wrapWithMessage (NetUtils.java : 892) at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils. wrapException (NetUtils.java : 867) at org. apache.hadoop.ipc.Client. getRpcResponse (Client. java: 1566) at org. apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call (Client. java: 1508) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call (Client.java: 1405) at org. apache.hadoop. ipc. ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke (ProtobufRpcEngine. java :233) at org. apache. hadoop.ipc. ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke (ProtobufRpcEngine. java :118) at com. sun. proxy. $Proxy79.getApplications (Unknown Source) at org. apache. hadoop.yarn. api.impl.pb.client.ApplicationClientProtocolPBClientImpl.getApplications (ApplicationClientProtocolPBClientImpl. java: 316) at sun. reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0 (Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke (NativeMethodAccessorImpl. java: 62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke (DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl. java : 43) at java.lang. reflect. Method. invoke (Method. java : 498) at org. apache.hadoop.io. retry.RetryInvocationHandler. invokeMethod (RetryInvocationHandler. java : 431) at org. apache.hadoop.io. retry. RetryInvocationHandler$Call.invokeMethod (RetryInvocationHandler. java:166) at org. apache.hadoop.io. retry.RetryInvocationHandler$Call.invoke (RetryInvocationHandler. java: 158) at org.apache.hadoop.io. retry. RetryInvocationHandler$Call. invokeOnce (RetryInvocationHandler. java : 96) at org. apache.hadoop.io. retry. RetryInvocationHandler. invoke (RetryInvocationHandler. java : 362) at com. sun.proxy.$Proxy80.getApplications (Unknown Source) at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.client.api. impl. YarnClientImpl.getApplications (YarnClientImpl. java:651) at com. scheduling. config. SchedulingConfig.renameFolders (SchedulingConfig. java: 901) at com.scheduling. SchedulingApp.main (SchedulingApp. java : 30)
>

I have modified destination host and source host for security reasons. 

Please let me know if any details are required to identify the root cause

Rising Star

Hello @Kolli 
Do you have a valid Kerberos ticket? Check using klist and it should display a message  like below.

Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_12345
Default principal: user@example.com

Valid starting Expires Service principal
09/06/23 13:30:00 09/07/23 13:30:00 krbtgt/example.com@example.com
renew until 09/08/23 13:30:00

Explorer

Hi Asok, 

Yes, we have valid kerberos ticket. We are using keytab to authenticate. With same keytab I am able to access from local. When I deploy to cluster then I am facing this issue. 

Thanks. 

Explorer

2023/09/04 09:30:05.522 INFO o.a.h.s.UserGroupInformation
: Login successful for user abc using keytab file abc. Keytab auto renewal enabled : false
2023/09/04 09:30:05.522 INFO c.s.f.c.s.c.SchedulingConfig After login
2023/09/04 09:30:05.730 WARN o.a.h.i.Client
Exception encountered while connecting to the server : org.apache.hadoop. security.AccessControlException: Client cannot authenticate via: [TOKEN, KERBEROS] 2023/09/04 09:30:05.734 ERROR o.a.s.d.y.ApplicationMaster
: User class threw exception: java.io. IOException: DestHost: destPort uklvadhdp123 : 8032 , LocalHost: localPort ukhdp/133.0Failed on local exception: java.io. IOException: org.apache. hadoop. security. AccessControlException: Client cannot authenticate via: [TOKEN, KERBEROS]

In above error message first I am getting login successful. After that if I try to access yarn resource manager getting this issue

New Contributor

Hi I'm also facing this same exact issue.

I can submit the distcp job to yarn which runs and completes but I'm not able to check the progress of the job while it's in running.

The strange thing is that there's no issue when I use the hadoop2 library. This issue came up as I upgrade to hadoop version > 3.2.3

Where you able to resolve your issue?

New Contributor

Despite extensive efforts, I was unable to directly resolve the issue, but I devised a workaround.

Rather than directly accessing the Hadoop Job object for status updates, I extracted the job ID after submitting the job. Using this job ID, I created an ApplicationID object, which I then used to instantiate my YarnClient. This approach enabled me to effectively monitor the status and completion rate of the running job.

Interestingly, both my distcp job and YarnClient are utilizing the same HadoopConf object (YarnClient is instantiated right after the DistCP Job is executed) and is within the same scope of the UserGroupInformation. The exact reason why the YarnClient can access the necessary information while the Job object cannot remains unclear. Nevertheless, this workaround has successfully unblocked me.

Additional context: I am using Java 8 and running on an Ubuntu Xenial image.