Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudbreak - Azure managed disks

Contributor

Will Cloudbreak support Azure Managed disks for custom image catalog anytime soon?
Currently using packer for building my base images for HDP, however it stores them in storage account, which is not recommended by Azure anymore and packer marked this strategy as deprecated already.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jakub Igla

It is on the roadmap, but I cannot share an exact schedule.

Do you happen to have some issues with the storage account based image burning except for it being deprecated?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Jakub Igla

It is on the roadmap, but I cannot share an exact schedule.

Do you happen to have some issues with the storage account based image burning except for it being deprecated?

Thanks!

Contributor

The problem is that azure provider for packer does not allow you spinning up a VM based on a managed disk and burn vhd. So if you start with managed disk you can only produce another managed disk. Same with VHD. It's not the end of the world, but I had to add more complexity to my orchestration as I have to use a base corporate image which is a managed disk.

Explorer

@Jakub Igla, I got similar problem, Cloudbreak now only supports VHD, but my custom image is created by a VM which is a managed image, how can I burn a VHD for this image so that it can be used by Cloudbreak? Thank you.

Contributor

This is more Azure question. Take a look at this: http://www.florisvanderploeg.com/converting-azure-managed-disks-to-unmanaged/

Explorer

Thanks, it helps a lot.