Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudbreak for installing HDP cluster on bare metal servers

Expert Contributor

Do we have a way to use Cloudbreak for installing HDP cluster on bare metal servers?

I know Cloudbreak works with AWS/GCP/Azure and OpenStack but I would like to know if Cloudbreak can spin-off clusters either by using Docker or directly on on-premise physical nodes with out OpenStack managing the hardware . please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Currently it's not supported, though with the BYOS provider you might be able do that (using the Swarm orchestrator).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star

Currently it's not supported, though with the BYOS provider you might be able do that (using the Swarm orchestrator).

Hi @rbalam,

What's the use case that you are seing for Cloudbreak with on-premise physical nodes without OpenStack or Docker ?

For me the added value of Cloudbreak is taking care of the VM creation and OS configuration before installing HDP with Ambari. If you are running HDP clusters directly on hardware then Ambari will be enough. For OS, network conf, etc, existing tools outside Hadoop would apply. I would be happy to hear what you have in mind.

Contributor

@rbalam, what you're trying to do looks good on paper but remember that cloud provisioning is always "instance" based (yes, the obvious :)), without getting too philosophical here think about how would Docker manage a pool of physical hardware and know where to deploy those containers?

So long story short, I would strongly suggest setting up OpenStack; it's relatively straightforward and will save you time. Been there, done that a few times.

Feel free to reach out if you need any help.