It's strange how long it's taking Cloudera to fix this issue.
I repeat the post I sent on February 16.
I already found the problem and I have a version that is OK.
I can not pass the changes due to Cloudera policies.
But if Cloudera needs my collaboration contact me in the way you think is the right one.
I'm dropping in here to let everyone know I'm checking with the team for the status on this. I'll reply back when I know more.
I have an information that this issue is fixed (or not present) in commercial version od CDH. So everybody here complaining about the failed alert should be using Express Edition.
Or do I have a wrong source and somebody here running into this issue in CDH Enterprise Edition?
I didn't realize that this thread had not received a progress report.
We were not able to artificially recreate the problem so we adjusted the code to ensure that the result of the problem would not prevent the page from being usable.
This fix is slated for Cloudera Manager 5.12.
I am working with engineering to figure out what to do in the short term for 5.10 and 5.11 to get the fix available.
We will update you soon once we know what the gameplan is.
Thank you for all your patience and sorry that you have been impacted by this issue.
Please share the background of your assumption. That shouldn't be the case, but I'd like to hear how that assumption was developed. We have created now fix for this that is available at this time.