Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Combine HDP and HDF

Contributor

I am just curious as to the reason the options in HDP and HDF cant be the same. Specifically, why cant i simply make nodes to support the HDF model and HDP model within the same cluster?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

Hortonworks DataFlow and Hortonworks Data Platform share some components (Storm and Kafka for example). The two solutions compliment each other because they target different use cases. The reason that HDP doesn't offer HDF as an installable component is that HDF is designed to be very lightweight and installed on edge nodes where power, cooling and space are constrained. Nodes used for HDP are typically more powerful than nodes for HDF.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Contributor

HI,

with HDF3.0 and Ambari 2.5.1 , we can install HDF to an existing HDP cluster. Please have a look

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDF3/HDF-3.0.2/index.html

Thanks,

Avijeet

Explorer

So why not create a sandbox (and tutorials) for either HDP (only) or HDP+HDF (combined)? The HDF sandbox isn't even useful for the HDF tutorials - since it lacks HDFS, HBASE, Superset, Druid, etc. The HDF sandbox seems to be defective as a learning vehicle. The crippled/limited HDF-only sandbox doesn't seem suited to it's purpose. What am I missing?