Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Concerns with installing Python 3.X on Hadoop Cluster

Hi All,

I am aware that HDP and Ambari need Python 2.X to run it's services. However are there any concerns with installing Python 3.5.1 to be used for data processing?

Thanks,

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Andrew Watson

As long as it's installed out of the default system paths, and only called by whatever processing scripts or tools you're thinking of, I don't see that being an issue at all.

It'll require careful installation and ongoing care though, just from a security and patching perspective.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Andrew Watson

As long as it's installed out of the default system paths, and only called by whatever processing scripts or tools you're thinking of, I don't see that being an issue at all.

It'll require careful installation and ongoing care though, just from a security and patching perspective.

Guru

@Andrew Watson

If you are also looking at mutiple python library versions, take a look at virtualenv. This makes managing multiple python environments easier.

Expert Contributor

It is also worth while checking pyenv: https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv

From their home page:

pyenv does...

• Let you change the global Python version on a per-user basis.
  • Provide support for per-project Python versions.
  • Allow you to override the Python version with an environment variable.
  • Search commands from multiple versions of Python at a time. This may be helpful to test across Python versions with tox.

Explorer

hello andrew,

have you installed the python 3.x version? if so how is it running?

i am also trying to install python 3.x in my HDP. can you guide me in this?

Expert Contributor

@Andrew Watson @Dave Russell

Have you tried to install python 3 on hdp? what did you use to install? virtualenv? conda env? which works better? do you have some instructions? is this advisable to do on production environment?

New Contributor

Hi All,

is there specific method to follow for installing ambari on python3..any one installed on python3 base