Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Connection error when executing in Hive View using Ambari on HDP 2.3 sandbox

Explorer

Hello -

I'm running an HDP 2.3 sandbox on my laptop through a Virtualbox VM. While attempting to create tables through Ambari Hive view, I'm receiving the following error (screen shot attached):

H060 Unable to open Hive session:

org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException:

Read timed out

Creating the tables directly within a hive shell is working fine. Any idea why it isn't working through Ambari?h060-hive-view-error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Jay Goebel

Additionally if you find that your HiveView queries are taking longer time to read the data from Hive then you might want to increase the Amabri View Read Timeout to see if it helps in fixing the "read Timeout". You can increase the values of the following parameters in your "/etc/ambari-server/conf/ambari.properties" and see if it helps. Then restart ambari server.

views.ambari.request.read.timeout.millis = 300000
views.request.read.timeout.millis = 300000   

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Super Guru

@Jay Goebel

Known issue addressed in a later version of Ambari.

If you restart Ambari that issue goes away:

ambari-server restart

Due to a timeout the thrift connection dies.

Explorer

Hi @Constantin Stanca - Do you know in which version of Ambari this know issue is resolved ?

We are currently on Ambari Version 2.5.0.3

Thanks.

Master Mentor

@Jay Goebel

Additionally if you find that your HiveView queries are taking longer time to read the data from Hive then you might want to increase the Amabri View Read Timeout to see if it helps in fixing the "read Timeout". You can increase the values of the following parameters in your "/etc/ambari-server/conf/ambari.properties" and see if it helps. Then restart ambari server.

views.ambari.request.read.timeout.millis = 300000
views.request.read.timeout.millis = 300000   

Master Mentor

@Jay Goebel

In addition to my previous comment, f you are using Ambari 2.4 or later then you might want to refer to the following option as well : https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/90768/how-to-fix-ambari-hive-view-15-result-fetch-timed.h... In which for Ambari 1.5 Hive Views we can set the read timeout more effeciently pre instance basis using

views.ambari.hive.<HIVE_VIEW_INSTANCE_NAME>.result.fetch.timeout=120000

Explorer

Thanks Jay! Increasing the timeout parameters worked.

Explorer

Hi @Jay Kumar SenSharma - Increasing the timeout parameters helped to a certain extent but it didn't totally resolve the issue. The issue is occurring even after increasing the timeouts.

Are there any other parameters that can be tweaked ?

We are currently on Ambari Version 2.5.0.3

Thanks!