Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Connection timed out when attempting to transfer data from local machine to azure Sandbox

Explorer

Using gitbash on windows, I'm attempting to transfer a file from my local downloads folder into azure following the instructions here:

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-the-ropes-of-the-hortonworks-sandbox/

Command:

<code>scp -P 2222~/Downloads/Restaurants.csv cwarren@168.62.237.240:/cwarren

I have verified that the host is correct.

Error:

ssh connect to host 168.62.237.240 port 2222: Connection timed out lost connection

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

If you're on azure the port may just be port 22. Port 2222 is for Sandbox users. Try without the port argument.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Expert Contributor

If you're on azure the port may just be port 22. Port 2222 is for Sandbox users. Try without the port argument.

Explorer

I am a sandbox user. The port doesn't seem to be working however.

Expert Contributor

You said that you were working on Azure - when I referred the Sandbox I should have specified the local VM (VirtualBox/VMWare).

try these and let me know the results:

ssh cwarren@168.62.237.240

or

scp ~/Downloads/Restaurants.csv cwarren@168.62.237.240:/cwarren

Explorer

Let me clarify - I have deployed the Sandbox on azure - not using a local VM.

Expert Contributor

Cameron did you try the commands above? I tried ssh on the IP you provided and it connected and asked for a password. I believe the commands above should work for you.

Expert Contributor

The path to ~/Downloads/Restaurants.csv is probably wrong. You just need to locate wherever you downloaded the file to and point to that path instead of ~/Downloads/Restaurants.csv

Expert Contributor

I would either just move the file or trying using 'sudo' or if you're on Windows try opening the gitbash program 'As Administrator'. It may resolve your issues. Windows can be finicky with things like this.

Explorer

That worked - but now I get error scp: /cwarren Permission denied

Explorer

Thank you.