Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Copy file from my Windows to Sandbox

Hi,

I am completely new to Hadoop and Sandbox. I am using my Sandbox in my Oracle Virtual Toolkit. Help regarding the following points will be highly useful for me.

1. How to copy a file from my Windows 10laptop to the Sandbox. Tried the following, but getting error

scp -P 2222 F:/BigData/SampleData/movies.txt root@127.0.0.1:/root/kbk

Error: Could not resolve host name F: Name or service not known

I went through some posts and also tried the following

scp 1xx.1xx.xx.x:F:/BigData/SampleData/movies.txt root@127.0.0.1:/root/kbk

For the above I am getting timeout error

kbk - is a test directory I created once I logged into Sandbox.

2. Is it possible to "Drag and Drop" from Windows to Sandbox. There is an option which I have enabled in the virtual box, but that does not seem to work.

3. Tried the above scp by using WinSCP also. But that also didnt work.

IP : 127.0.0.1

Username : root

Password :

hadoop Port : 2222

4. Is it possible to copy or paste from the Sandbox using mouse. In normal putty terminals "select" will copy the content and the same can be pasted. We can also use SHFT+iNSERT keys to copy the selected data. Is there any such shortcut here.

Request help on the above.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Bharath Kumar K you may want to look into pscp if you want to run from the command line and resolve network drive mappings in the Windows fashion. I am not sure how you are running #1 (from Cygwin maybe?), but the syntax in the first example is essentially correct.

#3 should work, what error are you receiving? One thing you might want to try is creating a hosts entry so that sandbox.hortonworks.com resolves to 127.0.0.1 and then using sandbox.hortonworks.com as your hostname/IP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Bharath Kumar K you may want to look into pscp if you want to run from the command line and resolve network drive mappings in the Windows fashion. I am not sure how you are running #1 (from Cygwin maybe?), but the syntax in the first example is essentially correct.

#3 should work, what error are you receiving? One thing you might want to try is creating a hosts entry so that sandbox.hortonworks.com resolves to 127.0.0.1 and then using sandbox.hortonworks.com as your hostname/IP.

New Contributor

Thanks a lot, your guidance solve my issue

Hi slachterman,

My sincere thanks for the help. I did the following steps and am able to transfer the files from local system to Sandbox.

Edit the hosts entry :

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc : hosts file and added the IP 172.16.0.6 sandbox.hortonworks.com sandbox.

Then specified the following details in WinScp

File protocol :SCP

IP : 172.16.0.6 Port : 22 , User : root. Password : Sandbox password.

@slachterman

Thanks for the support and clarification !!!

Explorer

NOT WORKING... 😞

capturedasds.pngcaptureszddzd.png

New Contributor

@Rakshith Gowda

Please try with different setting:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file and add this line

127.0.0.1 sandbox.hortonworks.com

Then specify the following details in WinSCP

File protocol :SCP

IP : 127.0.0.1 Port : 2222

User : root