Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Could I manage multiple hbase cluster in the same ambari-server

Explorer

I want to install multiple hbase cluster in the same ambari cluster, and manage all of the hbase cluster through the same ambari-server UI. Is there any good idea about this, except for copy HBASE service again and again?

Copy is not good, because I have to modify some py files to change dir_name, pid_name..etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

No, multiple HBASE services are not supported right now, not even by "copy". You'd need to create additional services like HBASE2, HBASE3 and so on, like SPARK2 now running in addition to SPARK. Instead you can either add more nodes to your cluster and enable the single HBASE to handle all your requirements, or create 2 clusters with one HBase in each. I'd suggest working with a single, strengthened HBase cluster. Recently I've been involved in a HBase cluster running on several hundred nodes, and after some tuning it works great. Initially we also considered 2 clusters but this one is covering all our needs for the time being, and scaling well so far.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Guru

No, multiple HBASE services are not supported right now, not even by "copy". You'd need to create additional services like HBASE2, HBASE3 and so on, like SPARK2 now running in addition to SPARK. Instead you can either add more nodes to your cluster and enable the single HBASE to handle all your requirements, or create 2 clusters with one HBase in each. I'd suggest working with a single, strengthened HBase cluster. Recently I've been involved in a HBase cluster running on several hundred nodes, and after some tuning it works great. Initially we also considered 2 clusters but this one is covering all our needs for the time being, and scaling well so far.

Explorer

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, what I mean "copy" is the above you said "HBASE2". The advantage is that I can leverage the UI of Ambari for the "HBASE2" service. The solution you suggest is good too. But I need to handle multiple management entrances....... It's a headache for me...

What I expect is that ambari has a tool to auto copy and rename the related dir names in component scripts and also service configuration.....But now I know this is a dream....sad....I can handle this by myself, but people is not as reliable as programs.

In the end, thanks.

Master Guru

Yeah, that will be a lot of work, though Ambari maybe provides some automatism to create required paths based on service name, like /etc/hbase2/conf, /var/run/hbase2, /var/log/hbase2 etc. But still it doesn't sound like the best way to scale out services running on identical binaries (/usr/hdp/current/hbase2-client). Or maybe additional config files can be provided by /etc/hbase/conf2 pointing to /etc/hbase/HDP-VERSION/1?

And by the way, we have this system of reputation points, upvoting or accepting helpfule replies. Can you please consider to use it on this post of mine? Tnx.

Explorer

You got it, sir, and thanks.

I am now tracing the related code, not feeling good.

maybe you have sth. to share with me where-is-the-code-about-varlibambari-agentdatacomm