Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Create Hive Table with Tag properties

New Contributor

when creating a table, is it possible to tag a column based on attribute classification? Similar to commenting a column.

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

you may consider Atlas and Ranger for that functionality. See this tutorial http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/tag-based-policies-atlas-ranger/ for reference.

New Contributor

Thanks Frank for response. Assigning each attribute/column to a Tag through Atlas/Ranger UI will require boat load of Data Stewards to achieve which is not scalable. I am trying to have it automated, hence the question? As developers create Hive tables, is it possible to land additional DDL statements that can assign each column to a tag? Similar to creating COLUMN comment in DDL. I know there is way to achieve it using REST API but that will require first to create table, pass that table & column info and obtain its GUID, then POST a tag for that GUID. This approach through API involves too many steps and I am trying to avoid if possible.

New Contributor

Have you found a solution for this problem?

Explorer

Hi @dts were you able to find a solution for automatic tagging of hive tables and columns? could you please share an example?