Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Critical alert for Hive Metastore Process

Highlighted

Critical alert for Hive Metastore Process

New Contributor

Even after restarting atlas and starting the hive service:

> hive --service hiveserver &

Not able to remove this Alert. Please help.

@Vedant Jain @Nikolaos Stanogias

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Critical alert for Hive Metastore Process

@Dipika Baad

Is Hive up and running and accessible using hive client or beeline?

Please check for statement used by the Alert to report this issue.

New Contributor

Thank you @vpoornalingam

I have added the alert statement above. Hive and beeline is not working in command line. Attaching that error below:

Hive Error:

4063-hiveerror.png

It was hung after this statement.. nothing appeared after this.

Beeline Error:

4064-beelineerror.png

New Contributor

Metastore on sandbox.hortonworks.com failed (Execution of 'ambari-sudo.sh su ambari-qa -l -s /bin/bash -c 'export PATH='"'"'/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/lib/ambari-server/*:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/var/lib/ambari-agent:/bin/:/usr/bin/:/usr/sbin/:/usr/hdp/current/hive-metastore/bin'"'"' ; export HIVE_CONF_DIR='"'"'/usr/hdp/current/hive-metastore/conf/conf.server'"'"' ; hive --hiveconf hive.metastore.uris=thrift://sandbox.hortonworks.com:9083 --hiveconf hive.metastore.client.connect.retry.delay=1 --hiveconf hive.metastore.failure.retries=1 --hiveconf hive.metastore.connect.retries=1 --hiveconf hive.metastore.client.socket.timeout=14 --hiveconf hive.execution.engine=mr -e '"'"'show databases;'"'"''' was killed due timeout after 30 seconds)

Contributor

Go to ambari -> Hive -> Services -> Restart all to restart hive server and hive metastore services.

You may need tor restart ambari service also. Go to your amabri server and in the command line, type:

> ambari-server restart

Make sure you restart under the account that you started ambari server (usually root).

New Contributor

Thank you @Ed Gleeck

1. I tried the command 'ambari-server restart' which resulted in heartbeat lost on ambari UI. I was logged in as Admin.

4074-ambariui.png

2. I restarted the ambari server from command line as a root user: which showed it was successful.

4075-ambari-restart.png

3. I had tried restarting all services of hive before doing this but that didnot clear the alert.

Please let me know if you need more information on the error. Thanks again!

Expert Contributor

On Beeline, can you pass the actual servername (sandbox.hortonworks.com) instead of 127.0.0.1

Please restart ambari-agent also

ambari-agent restart

And also please let me know the output of these one:

hostname

hostname -i

cat /etc/hosts

It is a possibility you are not on a network OR something is blocking port 10000, 9083 on your network (such as VPN, local firewall etc..)

New Contributor

Restarting agent removed the hearbeat lost Error - Thank you. Alert still persists though. Here are the outputs:

4095-hostname.png

4091-beeline-new.png

sandbox.hortonworks.com:10000 also gave the same Error. You said these ports must be already in use(I tried netstat -nl | grep 10000 and for 9083 port - It showed tcp LISTEN ) so what can I do to overcome this issue. Thanking you in advance! @Manish Gupta

New Contributor

I am having the same issue, but hive service is up and running and also to able to connect hive via beeline. So any solution for removing the alert for hive metastore process.43765-aleat.jpg

New Contributor

@Sai Sandeep

@Dipika Baad

The particular alert definition you cited references the Hive Metastore Process. This alert is triggered if the Hive Metastore process cannot be determined to be up and listening on the network. Here's how you can determine what the issue might be.

- On the node where Hive Metastore is running, review the following log: hivemetastore.log (should be in /var/log/hive/). This log will determine what the actual issue with the metastore process is. If the issue is still prevalent, you will see the error repeated if you tail -f the log.

In my case, the issue was with max_connections on the SQL instance which I had to Flush the cache for.

The exact error in the log was -- Failed to acquire connection to jdbc:mysql://HOSTNAME/Hive. Host IP is blocked blocked because of many connection errors.

Used the following command to flush the connections to MySQL backend for Hive:

- On the node where metastore process DB is hosted, type the following command:

mysqladmin -u root -p flush-hosts

NOTE: you will be prompted to type in the root pass for mysql.

As I mentioned, there could be several causes so determine the reason by checking the log first.