Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Custom repo using /etc/yum.repos.d/

Expert Contributor

What is the correct way of configuring a custom repo (say using jfrog) which is mirroring the public repo so that a blueprint install can find packages ?

for instance my /etc/yum.repos.d/ambari-hdp-1.repo is

[HDP-2.6-repo-1]
name=HDP-2.6-repo-1
baseurl=http://myserver:8081/artifactory/hortonworks-hdp/
path=/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.21-repo-2]
name=HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.21-repo-2
baseurl=http://myserver:8081/artifactory/hortonworks-hdp-utils/
path=/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

So if i run sudo yum info hadoop-hdfs-datanode it lists the right package.

As part of the 2.6 change in blueprints it is required to register the stack version following the methodology described here by registering a vdf file

Once done, I can see my repository_version with id 1 on

/api/v1/stacks/HDP/versions/2.6/repository_versions/1/operating_systems/redhat6/repositories/HDP-2.6
{
  "href" : "https://fooserver:8443/api/v1/stacks/HDP/versions/2.6/repository_versions/1/operating_systems/redhat6/repositories/HDP-2.6",
  "Repositories" : {
    "applicable_services" : [ ],
    "base_url" : "http://myserver:8081/artifactory/hortonworks-hdp/",
    "components" : null,
    "default_base_url" : "",
    "distribution" : null,
    "latest_base_url" : "",
    "mirrors_list" : "",
    "os_type" : "redhat6",
    "repo_id" : "HDP-2.6",
    "repo_name" : "HDP",
    "repository_version_id" : 1,
    "stack_name" : "HDP",
    "stack_version" : "2.6",
    "unique" : false
  }
}

However after registering the cluster template with "repository_version_id" : 1 the cluster initiation request fails to find the repos on any of the nodes. Where exactly do I specify the version so that the blueprint install can pick it up ??

Have also attempted to set the repo version in /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDP/2.6/repos/repoinfo.xml but to no avail.

2018-01-16 06:35:50,800 - Unable to load available packages
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 771, in load_available_packages
    self.available_packages_in_repos = pkg_provider.get_available_packages_in_repos(repos)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 85, in get_available_packages_in_repos
    available_packages.extend(self._get_available_packages(repo))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 146, in _get_available_packages
    return self._lookup_packages(cmd, 'Available Packages')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 191, in _lookup_packages
    if items[i + 2].find('@') == 0:
IndexError: list index out of range
2018-01-16 06:35:51,308 - The 'hadoop-hdfs-datanode' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging.
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HDFS/2.1.0.2.0/package/scripts/datanode.py", line 155, in <module>
    DataNode().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 367, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HDFS/2.1.0.2.0/package/scripts/datanode.py", line 48, in install
    import params
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HDFS/2.1.0.2.0/package/scripts/params.py", line 25, in <module>
    from params_linux import *
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HDFS/2.1.0.2.0/package/scripts/params_linux.py", line 391, in <module>
    lzo_packages = get_lzo_packages(stack_version_unformatted)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/get_lzo_packages.py", line 45, in get_lzo_packages
    lzo_packages += [script_instance.format_package_name("hadooplzo_${stack_version}"),
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 538, in format_package_name
    raise Fail("Cannot match package for regexp name {0}. Available packages: {1}".format(name, self.available_packages_in_repos))
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Cannot match package for regexp name hadooplzo_${stack_version}. Available packages: []
2018-01-16 06:36:04,670 - Unable to load available packages
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 771, in load_available_packages
    self.available_packages_in_repos = pkg_provider.get_available_packages_in_repos(repos)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 85, in get_available_packages_in_repos
    available_packages.extend(self._get_available_packages(repo))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 146, in _get_available_packages
    return self._lookup_packages(cmd, 'Available Packages')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 191, in _lookup_packages
    if items[i + 2].find('@') == 0:
IndexError: list index out of range
2018-01-16 06:36:05,184 - The 'hadoop-hdfs-datanode' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

The responses above helped me with the problems i had, however the right answer is that when using blueprints in version 2.6 onwards when the vdf file is registered, we have to specify the repositories in that file. That input is then used to create another ambari-hdp-repo-1.repo which will then be subsequently used.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Super Guru

@Anshuman Mehta

This is a bug (https://hortonworks.jira.com/browse/EAR-7270) fixed in ambari 2.6.0.0. For now you can do a workaround by changing a file

File: /usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/libraries/functions/get_lzo_packages.py

Change from-

else:
      lzo_packages += [script_instance.format_package_name("hadooplzo_${stack_version}"),
                       script_instance.format_package_name("hadooplzo_${stack_version}-native")]

To

else:
      lzo_packages += [script_instance.format_package_name("hadooplzo_2_6_2_2035"),
                       script_instance.format_package_name("hadooplzo_2_6_2_2035-native")]

I have hardcoded to "hadooplzo_2_6_2_2035", but you can change it to the version installed in your system.

Thanks,

Aditya

Expert Contributor
@Aditya Sirna

Thanks, I assume you mean that I would need to change that for ALL components. In the example above the datanode install required the hadooplzo compression libararies but the version available for both of them would be different.

I guess the above jira is private is this fix present in Ambari 2.6.0.0 ? Nevertheless changing the version for each component would be quite tedious to get right even after it is automated to be fixed on ALL the nodes for ALL the components.

Is there a better fix for this ? so that the stack_version is picked up as from the registered version ? I am unable to install the cluster using blueprints or the ui with this bug in place .

Super Guru

@Anshuman Mehta,

I guess you need not change it for all the components. Changing lzo would be fine. Change it in all the nodes in the above mentioned folder

Expert Contributor

I had tried that but it did not work at the core the issue was somewhat related to this question which does not have an official answer.

Instead, I have moved on to ambari 2.6.1 and the HDP 2.6.4 stack. The cluster installed successfully but did not start because the METRICS_MONITOR service could not start and that problem looks similar to this. sigh !

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/main.py", line 27, in <module>
    from core.controller import Controller
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/core/controller.py", line 27, in <module>
    from metric_collector import MetricsCollector
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/core/metric_collector.py", line 23, in <module>
    from host_info import HostInfo
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/core/host_info.py", line 22, in <module>
    import psutil
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/psutil/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/psutil/__init__.py", line 89, in <module>
    import psutil._pslinux as _psplatform
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/psutil/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/psutil/_pslinux.py", line 20, in <module>
    from psutil import _common
ImportError: cannot import name _common
psutil binaries need to be built by running, psutil/build.py 

Expert Contributor

@Aditya Sirna So installing the cluster from the public repositories did work, however when switching back to my local repos it seems that the oozie tomcat is being picked up from the bigtop repository rather than the HDP repository specified in the VDF.

My internal repository is set to point to http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.6.4.0 for hdp components. and a yum info oozie_2_6_4_0_91 shows that it is available from the HDP-2.6-repo-1 repo in pointing to my internal repo...

2018-01-17 18:15:24,397 - The 'oozie-client' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.6.4.0-91). This is the version that will be reported.
2018-01-17 18:16:28,013 - The 'oozie-client' component did not advertise a version. This may indicate a problem with the component packaging. However, the stack-select tool was able to report a single version installed (2.6.4.0-91). This is the version that will be reported.
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/OOZIE/4.0.0.2.0/package/scripts/oozie_client.py", line 71, in <module>
    OozieClient().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 375, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/OOZIE/4.0.0.2.0/package/scripts/oozie_client.py", line 33, in install
    self.install_packages(env)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 821, in install_packages
    retry_count=agent_stack_retry_count)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 166, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/__init__.py", line 53, in action_install
    self.install_package(package_name, self.resource.use_repos, self.resource.skip_repos)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/yumrpm.py", line 264, in install_package
    self.checked_call_with_retries(cmd, sudo=True, logoutput=self.get_logoutput())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/__init__.py", line 266, in checked_call_with_retries
    return self._call_with_retries(cmd, is_checked=True, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/package/__init__.py", line 283, in _call_with_retries
    code, out = func(cmd, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 72, in inner
    result = function(command, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 102, in checked_call
    tries=tries, try_sleep=try_sleep, timeout_kill_strategy=timeout_kill_strategy)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 150, in _call_wrapper
    result = _call(command, **kwargs_copy)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 303, in _call
    raise ExecutionFailed(err_msg, code, out, err)
resource_management.core.exceptions.ExecutionFailed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install oozie_2_6_4_0_91' returned 1. Error Downloading Packages:
  bigtop-tomcat-6.0.48-1.noarch: failure: bigtop-tomcat/bigtop-tomcat-6.0.48-1.noarch.rpm from HDP-2.6-repo-1: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Expert Contributor

resolved the above oozie problem ; the problem was a corrupt bigtop-tomcat in our repository

Master Mentor

@Anshuman Mehta

Sometimes it happens that the "psutil" binaries gets corrupted due to some OS binary changes (like Python version change) for the build folder So we will need to build it again. Please try this:

1. Stop ambari metrics monitor.

2. Build the psutil as following:

# cd /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_monitoring/
# python psutil/build.py

3. Then restart ambari metrics monitor.

If it does not work then please check what is your python version?

# python --version

Expert Contributor

Well that did work. However as I am doing a blueprint install what this means is that as soon as the metrics collector is installed I would need to run this script. Is there a hook in the python scripts where I can inject this command to be run so that I dont have to wait for the services to fail to start then ansibilize and run this command on all the nodes and then issue a restart command ?

Expert Contributor

Thanks for your inputs @Jay Kumar SenSharma and @Aditya Sirna but for me updating to the latest version 2.6.1 was a possibility and that worked.

As feedback the blueprint installation will work but in case of failures like starting services for instance the metrics monitor because of python dependencies can there be a hook in the process or really a part of the installation itself which does that ?

Otherwise we are basically left with a cluster which is installed but cannot be started.

If certain components fail to install (say on a node) and as a consequence the subsequent packages then would it be possible to restart the cluster provisioning request from that point ?

Is it possible to have a heirarchy of component installation and start ? i.e is it really necessary to install the metrics monitor before and start it before the core services ?