Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

DEVPH Folder in Self paced learning VM

Contributor

Hi there:

I am an existing student of self paced learning. In one of the modules titled 'HDP Developer: Apache Pig and Hive Rev 6', I need to use a VM from the following link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/vm-us-east/data_analyst/HDP2.3-Pig-Hive-Rev6.zip./.

There is a folder titled DEVPH under /root. I can easily navigate to the folder using the command prompt, as shown below:

9403-p1.png

However I am struggling to navigate to DEVPH using the UI. I am trying to edit a file under DEVPH using GEDIT. However I can't see the folder under root, through the UI, as shown below:

9404-p1.png

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Anindya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Anindya Chattopadhyay

You are right. Let me explain other way -

1. You have your local system which has ubuntu installed.

2. On Ubuntu you are running Sandbox [for which you ssh to Login]

3. Sandbox has also operating system [generally centos/ubuntu - depends upon which sandbox you downloaded].

4. And you have HDFS filesystem which is in Sandbox which is Hadoop Filesystem.

5. All hadoop config files are stored on Sandbox Local filesystem [ie. core-site.xml,hdfs-site.xml.etc..]

You can do ssh to sandbox and then access the hadoop config files using [vi or cat command].

But you cannot browse it from the UI as you shown in screenshot above, since the UI/browser which you are loading is of your Local Ubuntu machine and not of Sandbox.

if you need to do the same for Sandbox then you need to install GUI for Sandbox [As sandbox does not comes default with GUI]

Hope that makes clear now.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Contributor

Hi @Sagar Shimpi

Good to know I have got the same understanding.

Anyways I will give it a go with the Vi /CAT editor and let you know.

Cheers!

See my answer as well as the reply I gave you from our Training group's service ticket system.

@Sagar Shimpi explains this well, but there is another option. You basically can just "map" the inner VM filesystem so it can be "seen" by the outer machine. Instructions for this are in the course lab guide (step 7 of lab 1). For benefit of all, I stripped out just those pages and am attaching the steps as jpegs.

12139-part-a.png

12140-part-b.png

12141-part-c.png

12142-part-d.png

12143-part-e.png

Contributor

Thank you @Lester Martin

That helped!