Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Datanode fails to start from command line but starts fine from ambari

I'm starting the datanode using

/usr/hdp/2.4.2.0-258/hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode

I think there may be an environment variable related, but I also tried to source

. /etc/hadoop/conf/./hadoop-env.sh

Here is the complete error I'm getting:

2016-07-11 18:21:06,436 ERROR datanode.DataNode (DataNode.java:secureMain(2545)) - Exception in secureMain java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot start secure DataNode without configuring either privileged resources or SASL RPC data transfer protection and SSL for HTTP. Using privileged resources in combination with SASL RPC data transfer protection is not supported. at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.checkSecureConfig(DataNode.java:1217) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.startDataNode(DataNode.java:1103) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.<init>(DataNode.java:432) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.makeInstance(DataNode.java:2423) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.instantiateDataNode(DataNode.java:2310) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.createDataNode(DataNode.java:2357) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.secureMain(DataNode.java:2538) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.main(DataNode.java:2562) 2016-07-11 18:21:06,438 INFO util.ExitUtil (ExitUtil.java:terminate(124)) - Exiting with status 1 2016-07-11 18:21:06,445 INFO datanode.DataNode (LogAdapter.java:info(47)) - SHUTDOWN_MSG:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Felix Albani You will need to provide the configuration file location with --config parameter like Ambari does.

E.g.

hadoop-daemon.sh --config /usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf start datanode

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

@Felix Albani You will need to provide the configuration file location with --config parameter like Ambari does.

E.g.

hadoop-daemon.sh --config /usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf start datanode

@Xiaoyu Yao

Correct, I was missing the config, thanks. I realize I could of also checked on the Operations Running if I clicked for more details.

Thanks!

One more thing I want to add is you need to run this using ambari user, in my case root otherwise if I used hdfs user I got same problem. I'm sure this has to do with file permissions.