Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Different 'user' accounts for ambari and hive ?

Highlighted

Different 'user' accounts for ambari and hive ?

Hi team

I installed a 3 node hadoop cluster on AWS using ambari and the user I used in the ambari set up wizard was "ec2-user". So in my understanding, ambari and the hadoop clusters would have been installed using ec2-user.

Then, I log into the node where HIVE / metastore is installed and try to run "hive" form command line, then i got this error message:

Permission denied: user=ec2-user, access=WRITE, inode="/user/ec2-user":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

Then, i executed "sudo hive" and I got this,

Permission denied: user=root, access=WRITE, inode="/user/root":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

Out of curiosity, I then did sudo -iu hdfs and then launched hive, and surprisingly it worked and I got the hive> prompt.

I am confused where or how this user hdfs was created? what is the best practice in terms of user accounts? May be I shouldnt have installed the setup using ec2-user? Please can somebody shed some light?

please also see some note on my other question, related to what issues i faced when running ambari - https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/102111/error-when-creating-instances-using-ambari.html#a...

Regards

Naveen Keshava

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Different 'user' accounts for ambari and hive ?

Each service has its own default service account that ambari will create and these service can belong to hadoop group. You can customize these if needed.

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.5.0.3/bk_ambari-administration/content/defining_s...

Is ec2-user the user account that ambari service runs as? Maybe that is what you did?

New Contributor

Your have wrong ownership that HDFS user's home directory.

The ownership of HDFS user home directory should be like this.

/user/ec2-user >> ec2-user:ec2-user or ec2-user:hadoop

/user/root >> root:root or root:hadoop

Try these below commands.

# su hdfs

# hdfs dfs -chown -R ec2-user:ec2-user /user/ec2-user

# hdfs dfs -chown -R root:root /user/root

New Contributor

Please run the below command

sudo su hdfs

hadoop fs -mkdir -p /user/ec2-user

hdfs dfs -chown -R ec2-user:ec2-user /user/ec2-user

getout from the HDFS login

[ec2-user@ip-172-**-*-** ~]$ hive

log4j:WARN No such property [maxFileSize] in org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.6.5.0-292/0/hive-log4j.properties

hive>